Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Second body advice/recommendations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Pytho

Pytho

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
So I'm relatively new to the professional level photography community and I'm looking for advice on what second camera body to get. I currently own a D850 and personally love this camera. I want to find a secondary body that would work well as a pair with this one in regards to compatible lenses and accessories, and perhaps also one that offers some different features. At the moment I'm looking at the D780 and just wanted some opinions before I committed. Thank you in advance!☺

TheGlobalCitizen

TheGlobalCitizen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado

I don't see anything wrong with using a D780 as a second camera but why not find a D810 in good condition and run with that?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you want to shoot tethered or with a wired remote, the D810 has the same ports as your D850, the D780 doesn't.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

… I currently own a D850…

Am I missing something here?

… using that body and still asking question I would assume
legit from a relative beginner? There must be plenty of solu-
tions on the second hand market given the trade-ins on "Z".

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

In the film days, photographers would carry a second or even a third body with them - one for colour film, one for black & white film, and possibly a third with high speed B&W film in case of low light conditions. Mind you this was mainly the setup for press and news photographers. These days you can accomplish all this with one DSLR camera.

So the big question is: what do you need the second camera for? Answering this question will help you decide on what to get. Will the second body be used for the same type of photography as the D850, or mainly video, or high speed photography, or a different area of photography to what you normally shoot?

I have a D850 as well with an excellent compliment of lenses. I wanted the high resolution images that the 850 could give me. I take mainly nature shots - birds, small animals etc., and landscape photos. My second camera choice was one to compliment my repertoire of subject matter. I settled on a Z 7 for three reasons. 1) - It was the same high resolution as the 850, which I was accustomed to working with in post. 2) - The Z 7 could use the same lenses with the F2Z adaptor. Note: the cost of a camera body is nothing compared to the cost of quality glass. And finally, 3) - I love new technology in everything, so I wanted to experience the Mirrorless arena because I think this is the future direction of digital cameras.

I use my F lenses on both bodies but I’m slowly adding a limited number of Z glass - with the advantages offered by the new Z mount. I guess that about sums up my reasons for a second body choice. I’m sure other photographers will have their own. Good luck on your choice...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

In the film days, photographers would carry a second or even a third body with them - one for colour film, one for black & white film, and possibly a third with high speed B&W film in case of low light conditions. Mind you this was mainly the setup for press and news photographers. These days you can accomplish all this with one DSLR camera.

So the big question is: what do you need the second camera for? Answering this question will help you decide on what to get. Will the second body be used for the same type of photography as the D850, or mainly video, or high speed photography, or a different area of photography to what you normally shoot?

I have a D850 as well with an excellent compliment of lenses. I wanted the high resolution images that the 850 could give me. I take mainly nature shots - birds, small animals etc., and landscape photos. My second camera choice was one to compliment my repertoire of subject matter. I settled on a Z 7 for three reasons. 1) - It was the same high resolution as the 850, which I was accustomed to working with in post. 2) - The Z 7 could use the same lenses with the F2Z adaptor. Note: the cost of a camera body is nothing compared to the cost of quality glass. And finally, 3) - I love new technology in everything, so I wanted to experience the Mirrorless arena because I think this is the future direction of digital cameras.

I use my F lenses on both bodies but I’m slowly adding a limited number of Z glass - with the advantages offered by the new Z mount. I guess that about sums up my reasons for a second body choice. I’m sure other photographers will have their own. Good luck on your choice...

Walt, there are still lots of reasons to have more than one body...

When shooting events, a normal zoom on one body and either an UWA or a short tele zoom on the other, ready to shoot.

When using primes, changing to a complete camera is much faster than changing lenses.

For weddings, shooting without a backup is inviting disaster.

To get back on topic, the second body should be either similar enough to the main one that you don't need to thing when switching or one that you have used enough so it is second nature to use, so you still don't need to think about the ergonomics.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree with Peter (Merco_61).  When shooting sports, I usually had two bodies with different lenses to choose from.  In most cases I had my 200-400 on the monopod which worked well to capture the action on the fields and my other body normally had the 24-70 on it to capture crowd or bench activity.  Same for indoor sports but I would have the 70-200 rather than the 200-400 with the shorter distances.  It worked out well for me.  Typically they were identical bodies, most recently two D4 bodies where I had no issues switching between them.  Later I added a D500 as a third body so I had the option of a crop sensor if I wanted it.  They are not seeing as much activity now as they once did, but they still get used for occasional events and, of course, for pleasure.  Back in the film days I had 3 bodies as well when shooting for a paper and that was mostly for the lens options as well since we only shot Tri-X there.  When shooting for myself, I did the same with different film types as Walt suggested.  In any case, there can definitely be a need for a second body.  I always liked to have similar bodies.  I guess the D500 is close enough and I am familiar enough with both that using different bodies isn't an issue - assuming you get familiar with both bodies.

Pytho

Pytho

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks for the replies everyone, i appreciate the input, i did decide to go with the d780 since it because had the same lens mount and uses a lot of the same tech found in the new z series mirrorless models, can't wait to take it out and play with it😁