Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Transfer images from D5200 to MacBook Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

EdB

EdB

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

What is the easiest way to transfer images from my D5200 to my MacBook Pro?

Is there specific software I should load onto my Mac?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

How old is the MBP? On older models, there is a built-in card reader. Even if you have to get an external reader, using it is easier than using the camera as a card reader. MacOS has an app for importing files from your camera through a USB cable. An install of either Nikon NX Studio, ViewNX-i or Capture NX-D will include Nikon Transfer. I, personally, use a card reader and Photo Mechanic to automate ingesting photos. 

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Peter, the Apple USB C SD card reader dongle has a really short cord. Is it possible to use an extension cord with this dongle?

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Peter, the Apple USB C SD card reader dongle has a really short cord. Is it possible to use an extension cord with this dongle?

--Ron

It should work. I use a Lexar reader that has a 1.2 m cord.
  • Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

It should work. I use a Lexar reader that has a 1.2 m cord.

OK, thanks... when I got the Apple dongle I was in a rush and it was the only thing available... without buying online.

--Ron

dswan

dswan

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

I have an SD slot on the MacBook Pro, but if you don't, you can get a little adapter that plugs into the port that is on the laptop.  If you double click on the icon for the card, you will get preview thumbnails and view them full size with Preview.

I use Apple Photos to store and categorize the ones I want to work on and do not import the junk.  Since storage space on computers with SSDs isn't that big, you can also use a plug in external SSD and keep additional photo databases on those.  I have several and, being plugged into a Thunderbolt port on the Mac means that they run as fast as the internal SSD.  When you back up, those databases are just a single container file that's easy to locate and store off line.

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Country Flag

You can import photos from your Nikon camera to your Mac by inserting your camera’s SD card into your Mac’s SD card slot. If your Mac doesn’t have an SD card slot you can use an adapter to connect your camera and Mac.

Nikon also has an app called Snapbridge that lets you transfer photos from your camera to your device.