Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Entry level camera with better lens? Or better camera but with just a kit lens?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Violet

Violet

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, recently I discovered that I enjoy doing portrait photography and I'd like to buy a DSLR so I could take better photos. This will just be a hobby, so I don't have a big budget for this.

My question is: Should I get the Nikon D3500 plus an additional lens better suited for portrait photography? Or should I get the Nikon D750 with the kit lens?

Basically, my dilemma is: Entry level camera with better lens? Or better camera but with just a kit lens?

Thank you!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I think I would choose another option, but hard to say what I would choose.  To make it easier, I would choose a full frame body like the D750 and a nice portrait lens,  Either the body, the lens, or both can be found much less expensive if you purchase a lightly used model.  You also might want to consider a zoom lens that includes the "portrait lens" length so that you will have greater flexibility for shooting other subjects.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you don't need the high resolution of a modern body, you could get something like a D700 with a vertical grip or an old D3s with an 85/1.8 and a 50/1.8 without breaking the bank. The D700/MB-D10/50/85 combo should be doable in the region of $800 or so in the US. Most of the used gear dealers in the US ship worldwide, but I don't know what the shipping would be to your location.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Welcome to the forums, Violet.

It would be easier to recommend something if we knew what kind of budget you have for this.

Personally, I eschew low level cameras in favor of more capable ones. But your needs and budget may dictate another approach. And, of course, the most important consideration is really the lens, not the camera.

--Ron

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

What kind of portraits?  Studio, street, casual on the spot, night, family, pets?..Lighting conditions?  Would you consider a used outfit?  What's your budget?

A D3000 or D5000 series camera probably isn't going to get you where you want to be.  They're capable and take great photos, but controls can be lacking, (in my opinion, I have a D5500 I gave to my wife simply because I hated the controls) and they won't auto focus the older, yet still fantastic screw drive lenses. 

The D3S and D700 are of the best build quality cameras Nikon ever made, they're both work horses capable of enduring hard use year after year, they're both old school and only available used though.  D3S price ranges from $900-$1,200 U.S.D.  D700 from $450-$550 U.S.D bodies only typically with a 180 day warrenty.  I have two D700's and love them.   Now the D750 is one of Nikon's best all around cameras, fully capable of what ever it's job is on any particular day or night.  I bought a used D750 a few months ago and find it extremely capable and flexable under any light conditions.  A used D750 will be between $850-1,200 U.S.D and well worth it. 

The 24-120 f4 VR G ED AF-S is the ''kit'' lens typically supplied with a D750, I had one before I had a D750 and will say it's become a favorite of mine for it's image quality, size, and flexability, but there's better choices for portraits.  I also have a 80-200 f2.8 AF-D ED I would choose as a better choice at the same price as the kit lens, (used).  There are other choices, the 80-200 above is just mine in a zoom lens.  In the long run, pay once-cry once. 

A nice advantage with the D700 is the MB-D10 battery grip can easily be converted to take the large ENEL-4 battery giving you an all day power supply if that's a consideration.  I've converted both of mine and life is good!