Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

dx vs fx on a crop-sensor camera

dx lens crop-sensor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

DavidV81

DavidV81

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm new to dslr, owning only fixed lens cameras prior to my d7500.  My understanding is a fx lens on a crop-sensor camera doesn't account for the crop factor, so my 50mm fx lens is actually around 75mm.  That said, if I bought a dx lens that said 50mm, would it actually have a  focal length of 50mm, or would it also be around 75mm?  I'm looking at macro lenses and if there's no advantage to buying a dx lens, I'd assume get the fx lens in case I upgrade bodies down the road to a full frame.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm new to dslr, owning only fixed lens cameras prior to my d7500.  My understanding is a fx lens on a crop-sensor camera doesn't account for the crop factor, so my 50mm fx lens is actually around 75mm.  That said, if I bought a dx lens that said 50mm, would it actually have a  focal length of 50mm, or would it also be around 75mm?  I'm looking at macro lenses and if there's no advantage to buying a dx lens, I'd assume get the fx lens in case I upgrade bodies down the road to a full frame.

Welcome David! :P

Considerations about FX vs DX are sources of great misconceptions and
misunderstandings. There is NO change in focal length when using a FX
lens on a DX body… only a change in AoV — angle of view.

The advantages or using FX are multiple: greater choice, higher quality built,
brighter aperture, more blades just to name a few. Plus, if you get a FX body
down the line, everything will work together perfectly.

Have a good time!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Focal length is a physical property of a lens or lens system and doesn't change with how you crop the capture from the lens. 

The so called crop factor is only a convenient way of comparing the angle of view between systems.

The only advantage of buying a DX-optimised lens is that it is physically smaller and usually cheaper as it doesn't have to cover the larger image circle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dx, lens, crop-sensor