Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thermal Imaging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

For my birthday I treated myself to a basic thermal imaging camera, the FLIR One, a little module which plugs into an iPhone. It takes a lowish-resolution thermal image (60x80) and superimposes the colour onto a 480x600 visible light image. It finally turned up earlier this week and I've been amusing myself with some fairly simple photography. A couple of examples:

View from the back of my flat (the white blob in the sky is the sun)

51028897598_2375280285_o_d.jpg

Heat plume above a candle flame

51028905048_10a5c0cafc_o_d.jpg

Plant on a window sill with cold glass

51028904978_dd5d257210_o_d.jpg

I'm still learning its capabilities, eventually I want to try stitching images etc. At the moment I don't think I'll eventually be going for higher resolution gear, but it's interested me enough that I'll be keeping it. An album here, I will probably be adding more in due course:

Thermal Imaging | Flickr

Anyone else using this technology?

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Added a lot more, e.g. swans, squirrels, the Albert Memorial and other subjects, in the Flickr gallery above.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

"COOL"

I worked with digital Thermal IR 40 years ago and got a tour of the FLIR factory. Forward Looking Infrared. FLIR. 

It is so nice to see them around!

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

I think they launched the iPhone attachments five or six years ago, too late for me to have one before I retired, when I was an educational lab technician and could have made a lot of use of it. Not having to include a screen etc. dropped the price down to a level where I could afford one second hand just to play with it - except that until recently I was using an older iPhone that had the 30-pin connector and couldn't use the camera. I got a new phone at the start of last year, then almost immediately the lockdown started in the UK so I had a long wait for one to turn up 2nd hand from an on-line seller I trusted.

Incidentally, I got the resolution wrong, it was the first version that was 80x60. The one I got is 2nd generation, 160x120 superimposed onto a VGA-resolution visible light image. Oddly, the basic version of the more recent 3rd generation model, the FLIR Pro LT, is LOWER resolution, although it allegedly has better reliability, and the top-end of this series is the same resolution, though again allegedly more reliable.