Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help with Nikkor 18-55mm lens repair and screws

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

IanFS

IanFS

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone. I'm new here so please be gentle.  ;)  And if this is in the wrong place I apologise, Mods please move it.
I own a 2014 Nikon D5300 with a Nikkor 18-55mm lens, pretty much standard equipment. It's been great up until now when yesterday the Auto Focus wouldn't focus past about 40ft. Tried it in manual and it was the same. I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology but the Focus barrel seemed very loose when moved side to side. When I moved it one way the focusing corrected, move it back and it went out.
I've stripped it down and removed the front lens and there are 3 screws holding the plastic piece on which the front lens sits, apologies for not knowing what its called, but this is very loose one way. Thinking that it has a broken part behind I tried to remove the 3 screws, 1 undid easily but unfortunately the other 2 have well and truly seized, possibly because of some locktite and the heads are now damaged.
I think I may have to use a micro screw remover, but before I do I wonder if any of you lovely people know where to get Nikkor lens screws.
Also does anyone know the fixings behind them, I cant find any clues online, so if someone here has repaired one fo these I would be grateful for some advice before I have to order a new lens.
Many thanks
Ian

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Sorry about the late reply.

You should have used a JIS instead of Phillips head screwdriver from the start as Phillips drivers will slip and damage the heads. Nikon have tightened up their distribution of small parts, so the only way to get exact replacement screws are either old stock from before they shut the independent repair shops out or cannibalising a donor lens. 

If your 18-55 is one without the stabilisation, any of the VR versions would be a significant upgrade. If it is a VR version, upgrading to AF-P if you have Firmware C: v1.01 or later in your camera will let you benefit from the faster AF. If you want to upgrade, a used 18-105 or 16-85 aren't *that* expensive.

• TBonz and Jerry_ like this

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I'm with Peter on this one. A replacement lens would be the quickest route. There seem to be plenty of them on Ebay sub-£50. 

IanFS

IanFS

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I am grateful for getting a reply, even it was 2mths after my original post. However chaps I managed to figure it out for myself. 

It turned out I was stripping down the wrong end. So went for the focusing mechanism by gently lifting of the rubber grip on the focusing lens. Nikon have 3 small plastic rings/washers which fit into a circular mechanism in order that the lens moves in and out by turning the casing with the rubber grip ring. It turned out that on of them had popped out, I found it inside the casing and popped it back in. It's now working fine. This simple fix saved me a few bob since I was researching new lens prices. 

I don't mind forking out if its necessary, but these standard lenses are pretty good for this grade of camera, so a simple fix that keeps it going for a while is a good investment. 

Take care

Ian

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Well done Ian.
You'll be £50 better off now.
But yourself a new lens!