Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FE2 Film Advance Question

fe2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

srjturner

srjturner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I've just got an FE2 via eBay and all generally seems well except for the usual dodgy film seals that I will replace.

The only thing that I am unsure of is that the film advance lever has an awful lot of play in it. Before winding on, it can move maybe 20-30 degrees before you can feel the advance actually starting. It has a similar amount of play once wound on, but obviously with a hard stop because the lever cannot advance further until the shutter is released. 

Is this normal? Or am I probably on borrowed time and should return before the advance fails? Thanks.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Are you aware that the wind lever doubles as an on-off switch? The first part of the arc is just the switch.

srjturner

srjturner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Peter - yes, I'm aware of this. I'm talking about once the lever is moved to "on" there is some looseness that allows the lever to move back and forth before you feel the take-up as it actually starts to advance the film. Similarly, once the film is wound on, the lever can still move within the "on" position. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm at work right now, but I can check my FE2 for this slop as soon as I get home.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The slop is a bit more than 1/4" measured tangential to the arc. My FE2 got a full CLA around 40 rolls ago. 

srjturner

srjturner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Ah, OK, thank you, so some slop is normal, at least. Mine is a bit worse - a bit over 3/8" measured the same way. Think I'm gonna stick with it and cross my fingers.

Thanks again for taking the time, it's very kind of you.

transmitfar

transmitfar

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
My FE2 is a later model, about a month old to me. It is about the same: 3/8". Didn't bother me... until now!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

srjturner

srjturner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks transmitfar - let's not worry until something goes wrong. At least we know it's not uncommon!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Mine is an early one, made in September 1983.

daveFM2

daveFM2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Country Flag
apologies if this is late. Have my FE2 in front of me and the film advance lever has activation play, then it proceeds to a small amount of free play, before it begins to advance the film. Normal, nothing wrong or be concerned about. Way it’s designed. My camera is a late model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

srjturner

srjturner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks Dave, yes, I've also concluded it's normal!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fe2