Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Holidays

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Is anyone up for a holiday challenge for the rest of the month?

Shoot anything that represents whatever holiday you choose to celebrate (Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc.)...traditions, lights, decor, food, whatever.

Share in this thread--please! Our last challenge died . . . :(

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ok I can try but I might not put a shot in until after Christmas Day

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

And just for the heck of it (and to get things started), here is one I've taken recently of a Christmas tradition we have around our house. My little girl gets to open one gift-wrapped Christmas book every night (one for every night in December up until Christmas--it's like a big advent calendar). Then she and Daddy get to settle in and read it.

11302180656_af44839840_b.jpg

I definitely reserve the right to post another one after we've gone on our annual Christmas lights tour. :)

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Count me in but as my laptop has died, it might be after the holidays that I post my pics. Great photos Nicole.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Is anyone up for a holiday challenge for the rest of the month?

Shoot anything that represents whatever holiday you choose to celebrate (Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc.)...traditions, lights, decor, food, whatever.

Share in this thread--please! Our last challenge died . . . :(

OK Nicole up for that, got a busy week but once that is over hopefully will get some images on here.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Count me in but as my laptop has died, it might be after the holidays that I post my pics. Great photos Nicole.

Hopefully you'll get a new one as a gift!  :D

Nice photo!  I'll see what I can come up with - from previous shots and / or some I shoot this season...I know one I definitely want to shoot, but that will have to wait until son and his almost 2 year old pup are home from college...

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

from 2009, Nikon FE, Auto-Nikkor N 24/2.8, Fuji 160S

4570188025_022e102455_b.jpg
Xmas tree '09 by Nesster, on Flickr

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Very nice shot Nesster! 

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Site Supporter

I LOVE taking pics of the ornaments on the Christmas tree...

Merry Christmas.jpg

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

So here is something from me :)

Attached Thumbnails

• tree.jpg

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Love the tree shots! I'll repost mine here too. 

DSC_2233-L.jpg

And one more. My daughter loves decorating the tree, and takes it very seriously. Note the look of concentration. 

DSC_2195-L.jpg

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

So I pulled out the camera to get some photos of my son and his girlfriend in front of the tree last night...I even tossed the flash on top...I took a few photos of the two of them and then they wanted one with his dog like this:

TL 7165

Knowing the dog, I was ready and got a great "photo bomb"!

TL 7155

He's such a silly dog!

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Site Supporter

So I pulled out the camera to get some photos of my son and his girlfriend in front of the tree last night...I even tossed the flash on top...I took a few photos of the two of them and then they wanted one with his dog like this:

He's such a silly dog!

:lol:  :lol:   That is hilarious!!!! Just GOT to be the center of attention!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

He's such a silly dog!

Is he a Great Dane? That is one very large dog. 

Here is the ornament my daughter was putting on the tree. It's her favorite. 

DSC_2311-L.jpg

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Alden,

Yes, he's a Great Dane...not quite 2 years old and I'm guessing around 160-170 pounds - we'll find out actual within the week when he has his appointment at the vet's.  Love the ornament shot!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

11571811634_97915897f8_b.jpg

All my fantasies of Christmas light photos never came to fruition--though most of the big displays around here will be up until New Year's Day, so perhaps there is still hope.

I love everyone's homey, cozy images of beautiful Christmas trees and ornaments! Nice work, all. I'm still hoping to see a few more as promised. :)

I'm also curious about something--I took some sparkly, twinkling Christmas tree images as well, but my twinkles aren't as big as Nesster's are. What makes the difference do you think? I was using a 50mm lens at f16 to get the starbursts, and our distances from subject don't look too terribly different. Is it the lens? Anyone want to educate me on this? (I'm not talking about twinkles in this image, obviously--no twinkles here, just bokeh. :) )

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Had to do some ornament shots...

Christmas2013 7184

Christmas2013 7186

Christmas2013 7196

Christmas2013 7211

Christmas2013 7200

All shot with my 24-70 ISO 200...

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

So here is something from my Christmas Tree :)

D300s + Nikkor Micro 60mm + YN560II

ct1.jpg

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

OK Nicole up for that, got a busy week but once that is over hopefully will get some images on here.

Sorry guys, but both my wife and myself came down with the most horrible stomach bug going over Christmas, will spare you the gory details. Aas a consequence I am just starting to recover now, with a stomach that feels like I have gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson. Have not been in fit state for taking any pictures, but your theme has had me looking at Christmas decorations in a new light Nicole. Before anyone asks, I have also not had an opportunity to sort out Lightroom yet. Much of my time being taken up with preparation for and going through the selection process for a job, which I was fortunate enough to be offered, starting on the 6th January. This was all just before Christmas. Can I please encourage folk to keep hammering on with this type of challenge, I only hope that at some stage I can be a participant along with loads of others. Talking about photography is great, but we are for the doing.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Tony, the stomach bug is going around here in the States, too.  I've been spared so far (knock on wood) but felt a little queasy today.  It's a good way to get out of work, though.  Tell everyone you have the stomach bug and they're running the other way, wanting you to go home and take a day or two off.

And to think, I was just about to ask you how Lightroom was going.  :lol:  Hopefully, now that you're feeling better, you'll get on that for those of us waiting impatiently for your progress updates.

@Nicole - As creative as I am, I've never figured out that two candy canes make a heart.  You learn something new every day.  A very nice image.