Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7100 not as sharp as D5100?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Okay, I realise this is probably user error, or perhaps I am just shakier, but it seems as if I can't get as sharp of a photo, using the same lens, with my D7100 as I did with my D5100.  I'm using the Nikor 55-300mm lens, same settings that I used on the D5100.  Is it just me?  Or am I missing a calibration somewhere?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Hmmm, that's interesting.

Try this: set the cameras into manual mode, put them on a tripod, turn the VR off, and trigger the shots remotely (or use the timer). Pick an object that you can "pixel peep" for sharpness. Something with a lot of texture and contrast to it; like an open book or fabric placemat. Use identical settings and focal lengths. Compare those 2 images side by side... that will reveal what's going on with the sharpness. 

If you do see a difference in sharpness post the images here, I'd like to take a look.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Will do, though due to life stuff it will likely take some time. Good suggestion.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Sounds good! :)

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

You are not the first one who says that D7100 sharpness is not as good as in lower Mpix cameras. And maybe there is something in it. But to make sure try to resize your picture to 16Mpix and check again - it might look the same as from 16Mpix D5100. Don't forget to check if HDR feature is off.

The same issue is with D800 as 36 Mpix is more "fragile" for camera shake and in 100% crop you will see a bit of blur. But when resized to 16-24Mpix all looks OK.

Other problem in (so far) some D7100s is AF, as it tends to have huge BF in AF-C mode while shooting sports where there is "messy background" (adverts, billboards, signs etc.) as camera "prefers" to focus on them instead players.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

553g vs 675g.  Not a huge weight difference, but perhaps a shutter speed you were used to using with the D5100 creates a little more camera shake on the D7100.  That is a long, heavy lens you're using.  It may balance differently on the different body.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Are you comparing pixel-to-pixel, in which case anything out of focus is smeared across more pixels and therefore not as sharp at 1 to 1, or are you comparing at same size, in which case there's something wrong with your camera. Mine is sharp.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

Agree with the above point about matching file sizes by resizing the D7100 file.

Also, spend some time calibrating the D7100 to the lens and using the sharpening in the custon menu settings.

Please report back in.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Actually, how do you calibrate a lens? Or sharpen?

fbaltona

fbaltona

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I had same problem with AF on my d7000. I did an AF fine tune on all my lenses, which has helped plenty. Not sure on the d7100.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I had same problem with AF on my d7000. I did an AF fine tune on all my lenses, which has helped plenty. Not sure on the d7100.

How exactly did you do that?

TeeJay

TeeJay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

To those interested, you can learn how to fine tune your AF with your lens via this URL:

Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes - FM Forums

HTH

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Agree with the above point about matching file sizes by resizing the D7100 file.

Also, spend some time calibrating the D7100 to the lens and using the sharpening in the custon menu settings.

Please report back in.

I would be interested in your feed back also.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Zoom lenses often can not be tuned perfectly by calibrating the camera, because they need different offsets at different focal lengths. If they are AF-S a technician at a certified Nikon repair centre can produce an offset curve and upload it to the lens. Old -D zooms need to be tuned mechanically, which often is more expensive than replacing with a more modern lens.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the feedback and link.  I really should do a test shot with each camera as suggested.  I've been really busy, unfortunately.

I'll look at the auto-tune link and see if that helps.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

I would be interested in your feed back also.

Pertaining to what exactly?

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

Also when you have higher mp any user error is going to be more evident. So you may want to take that into account. Do a test where both are set up on tripods and take a picture of the same subject. Then compare. That should give you a better idea.

CanadiaNikon

CanadiaNikon

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey Cranium,

Any update on this issue?

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, and sorry about the delay.  Bottom line is that the D7100 is nice and sharp.

I took comparison pictures of a stationary object using both cameras, both with tripod and delayed shutter release, etc.  The D7100 is as sharp or sharper than the D5100.  So likely, it was user error for me earlier (and I was taking pictures of birds, which move).

I took the D7100 with me to Whistler, BC this week and got some nice bird pics which I will hopefully upload soon.

CanadiaNikon

CanadiaNikon

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

Awesome!

Glad it all worked out and you can continue to enjoy that 7100.   :)