Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DX lens on Nikon Z5 Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

c_ronic

c_ronic

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here. I just bought a Nikon z5 as I have a kid on the way and wanted a good camera to capture family photos. I got it with the 24-50mm kit lens which is a nice little cheap lens. I like wildlife so I wanted to get a zoom or telephoto to capture that kind of stuff. So I was looking at Z lenses and bought the DX 50-250mm lens(due to price) not even realizing it would heavily crop the sensor. I used it, and I was actually really happy with the photos. Now, in the back of my head I am sad that I have this full frame camera and not using even half the MP. I wouldn't mind buying the full frame 24-200mm Zoom. I know it has 50mm less range than the 250mm DX lens, but my question is:

Is the range actually even less? Since the DX lens is cropping my sensor is it giving it an additional zoom? I REALLY like how far it was reaching, and I don't want to be shocked if I buy the 24-200mm and its not even close in its focal length.

Again, I am a newbie and it may not work like that at all.... in short would the 24-200mm FF lens have similar range to the 250mm APS-C lens on a FF camera (minus the obvious 50mm difference in general.)

I hope that is not confusing! Thank you :)

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

do not use DX lens on any of full frame body's unless you want this to happen. if use on my Z6 makes crop camera at 11 megapixels. not sure what it does to Z5. better off getting used full frame lenses help it out