Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AF-S Nikkor 80-200 2.8D Autofocus Issue

autofocus af-s swm 80-200 70-200 2.8 nikkor help troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

illicit

illicit

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello everyone,

I am seeking help with an issue my lens is having. The lens is an AF-S 80-200 2.8D.

The lens jumps/jitters back and forth past the focus point. Sometimes it settles on the focus point, other times it doesn't.

I bought the lens second hand and it's been working perfectly since. Then yesterday I picked it up and it had this issue.

The AF motor does squeal a bit sometimes, but the focus works through the whole range and the ring turns smoothly by hand.

The issue seems worse the more the focus range varied. For example, going from close to very far, or vice versa.

If I use the lens in live view, it seems to focus without jumping around. However, it focuses very slow (I know live view is slower due to a different process). I'm not sure if it was always this slow because I never use live view.

So far I have tried the following:

1. I have tried different lenses on my D750 - They all work perfectly.

2. I have tried the lens on a different body (D5500) - Same issue and symptoms.

3. I have tried cleaning the contacts on both the camera and lens.

4. I have checked to ensure that the ribbon cable below the focusing gauge has not popped up (seems to be a common issue, if you look on youtube you will see).

Since it's a bit difficult to describe I have created a short video demonstrating the issue: https://youtu.be/Y0fxJm2fJKY

I am trying to avoid sending the lens to Nikon since I cannot get an estimate online and I would have to ship it across Canada. I have also heard there may not be any parts available for this model. I may take it to a local camera repair store, but obviously I'd like to avoid that if I can. The lens is pricey, but won't be worth a $400-$500 repair. I would probably buy an 80-200 AF-D at that point and sell this one 'as is'.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue. I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

My thought is to get the D version as it's still current.  I have one and it does very well on my D700's and D750.  It's manual focus only on the D5500 since it doesn't have a screw drive motor.  The D version uses Nikon's old ring and button AF/MF switch which can take some getting used to and slow if you're in a hurry to change.  It's internal focus and internal zoom less likely to let dust into the lens, has 9 square aperture blades for great sun-stars, uses 77mm filters, and is built like a tank.  Nikon has been making this lens since 1997 for good reason, it's a true professional gem.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I use the AF-S 70~200 G v.II ED. It's been performing flawlessly
since day oneā€¦ ten years ago. And welcome to the bunch! :P

MJL

MJL

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationThe Canadian wet coast

Site Supporter

Sounds like you have either a physical or communication problem with the focusing gear when it is driven by the focusing motor in the body.  The gear lubricant can go stiff with time or temperature.  If your lens s/n is between 400001 and 563085, it was probably made 25 years ago.  The "newer" version from 2006 and on will have 7 digits instead of 6.

A local repair shop should able to fix it.  I have terrible experience with Nikon factory shop handling, they lost part of my stuff inhouse and then return the stuff to an address 1,000Km from me.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Sounds like you have either a physical or communication problem with the focusing gear when it is driven by the focusing motor in the body.  The gear lubricant can go stiff with time or temperature.  If your lens s/n is between 400001 and 563085, it was probably made 25 years ago.  The "newer" version from 2006 and on will have 7 digits instead of 6.

A local repair shop should able to fix it.  I have terrible experience with Nikon factory shop handling, they lost part of my stuff inhouse and then return the stuff to an address 1,000Km from me.

It is the AF-S, not one of the screw-drive versions. 

What did you use to clean the contacts? I have found Deoxit to work better than any other electronics cleaner I have tried.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: autofocus, af-s, swm, 80-200, 70-200, 2.8, nikkor, help, troubleshooting