Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to set aperture with completely manual lens on D5100

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

jeffgar2000

jeffgar2000

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I am using a completely manual lens with my D5100.  I need to set the aperture but the procedure in the manual and from multiple videos I found doesn't work.

I am in manual mode. I am shooting birds.

I can set the shutter speed with the dial but when I hold the +/- button down and turn the dial, it only shows f----. and flashes that.

This is a redcat telescope but it attaches just like a lens,

I am getting some awesome pics of birds with this but the focus range is very short because the aperture is off (I think).  If I get the birds nose in focus, it is beginning to blur out by its tail.

Thanks

Jeff

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As it is a telescope, the aperture is probably fixed, so you can't close it down.

Even with a manual photography lens, the D5100 won't meter and you have to set the aperture on the lens as the camera can't control the aperture without a compatible chip in the lens. Most of the more expensive Nikons have a mechanical coupling to read the setting on the aperture ring when using old Ai-coupled lenses.