Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2x Teleconverter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

photofan

photofan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWA State

I am new here, just purchased a D5600 and got a 70-300 zoom.  I wanted to purchase a teleconverter, however, feel overwhelmed by information on which is best or even correct.  The lens is 70-300 AF-P. I see when I shop on line that some teleconverters are manual focus and that is not what I want. I want anything I buy, of course, to work automatically with my lens. Any recommendations? Thanks for your help ahead of time. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

No Nikon TC will mount on your 70-300 as they have a protruding front element that won't fit inside your lens.

There are some third-party TC-s that more or less work.

As the maximum aperture is f/6.3 at the long end, even a 1.4X TC will be pushing it if you want the AF to work as the AF system in your camera is for f/8 or faster and the 1.4X loses a full stop of light. A 2X loses 2 stops.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you do some serious shooting with the lens that you have. At one point, I owned a D5600 and used the AF-P 70-300 lens with it. I was very happy with what I was able to do with the combination.

fwu9Iegh.jpg

1/800 sec, f/7.1, ISO 100, FL=70mm

UtrP03Eh.jpg

1/640 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100, FL=300mm

photofan

photofan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWA State

Thank you Nikonian and Loyal Member for your input.  I think I will take your advise and just go out and use the lens as is.  I am going to Arches National Park in May....will see what happens.  

Thanks again.