Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Digiscoping... and/or long cheapo lenses!

digiscope super telephoto ebay

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Hey everyone,

Here i was sitting outside and decided to look at the moon and wondered ill get a photo of that :)

50mm lenses make things look far away.

so while im still saving up for my sigma 120-300 i started to look around in digiscoping and those long range elcheapo lenses on ebay (links Posted below)

while looking at spotting scopes i found two way of connecting to the slr, via a lens then scope or just direct to scope i have also provided links below. The vanguard scope looks awesome on paper, does anyone have any recommendations on this topic etc

Vanguard scopes

http://www.vanguardw.../entry-1-6.html

Vanguard adapter direct to scope no lens in middle

http://www.ebay.com....=item485dc7fb3c

digiscope adapter with use of lens

http://www.ebay.com....=item35c5fc2a6f

does anyone know how to calculate a focal distance of the spotting scopes with and without a lens attached so i can get a rough idea of focal length

here is a listing for the long range lens (tell me your thoughts)

http://www.ebay.com....=item5af876b07b

i have also looked at telescopes aswell but lets just hear the thoughts of the above :)

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Hey everyone,

Here i was sitting outside and decided to look at the moon and wondered ill get a photo of that :)

50mm lenses make things look far away.

so while im still saving up for my sigma 120-300 i started to look around in digiscoping and those long range elcheapo lenses on ebay (links Posted below)

while looking at spotting scopes i found two way of connecting to the slr, via a lens then scope or just direct to scope i have also provided links below. The vanguard scope looks awesome on paper, does anyone have any recommendations on this topic etc

Vanguard scopes
http://www.vanguardw.../entry-1-6.html

Vanguard adapter direct to scope no lens in middle
http://www.ebay.com....=item485dc7fb3c

digiscope adapter with use of lens
http://www.ebay.com....=item35c5fc2a6f

does anyone know how to calculate a focal distance of the spotting scopes with and without a lens attached so i can get a rough idea of focal length

here is a listing for the long range lens (tell me your thoughts)
http://www.ebay.com....=item5af876b07b

i have also looked at telescopes aswell but lets just hear the thoughts of the above :)

Like you I have a fascination with the night sky and also feel that my camera/lenses are inadequate for the job. So will be really interested to hear responses to your range of links above.

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
My mind went wild tonight and thought about how to keep it all stable so im also trying to source a long tripod rail to hold up both the scope and camera instead of creating any weight stresses as well so ill post whatever I can find :)

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

My mind went wild tonight and thought about how to keep it all stable so im also trying to source a long tripod rail to hold up both the scope and camera instead of creating any weight stresses as well so ill post whatever I can find :)

Just had a thought that may be bonkers. You spoke aout using a post, what about using two tripods? Over here you can pick up at a reasonable price if you serach about.

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I've put cameras on spotting and astro scopes.

A digikam bracket will hold a compact camera to a spotting scope eyepiece, basically, you are taking a photo of the back of the eyepiece. It works surprisingly well, although it can take time to setup. I used a Pentax Omni 85 compact camera with a homemade bracket for an old fashioned cable release for triggering. There is plenty of potential for light leakage.

Fitting a DSLR to an Astro scope is a lot easier. Most astro scope come with a 1.25" focuser capable of receiving standard eyepieces. An adaptor is available to fit Nikon cameras to the focuser. No lenses are involved, focussing is done via the focus wheels on the scope while monitoring the camera.

My scope is a Skywatcher 1145p which has a 4" aperture tube and a focal length of 1000mm, achieved with a built in Barlow lens. If the Barlow wasn't there it would be a 500mm focal length.

I also have the option of another 2x Barlow, giving me 2000mm.

If I were starting out, I wouldn't get a spotting scope for photo work, the aperture is just too small.

If I wanted a long lens, rather than a scope, on a budget, I would trawl eBay for a cheap manual lens of Russian construction. I bought a 300mm F5.6 recently for £12.60! On a DX camera, this gives me 450mm.

If I were looking at a scope for astro photography with a DSLR, I would be looking for an 8" tube with a good, solid eq mount.

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag

i briefly thought about two tripods, but it would be just too much to carry and adjusting an angle would require adjusting both tripods, or making sure the ground had enough level space for two sets of legs.

i am looking at the below items as options

Celestron C5 Telescope

Vanguard Endeavour HD82s Spotting Scope

the reason why im looking at a spotting scope is i also get down to the gun range every so often so the scope covers two purposes for me.

I looked on the net at nikon and swarovski spotting scopes... but for the prices they are commanding i just cant afford that sort of money on gear im not going to use on an occasional basis.

Im using a vanguard abeo pro tripod at the moment which is capable of every angle possible so im planning on using this and making a suitable adapter if needed.

Still looking to see how much an advantage it would be if a lens was used in conjunction with the scope and without out as it may speed focusing up a bit with a lens in between as well as a bit extra focal length or the ability to increase focal length with a lens or teleconverter attached :)

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I've put cameras on spotting and astro scopes.

A digikam bracket will hold a compact camera to a spotting scope eyepiece, basically, you are taking a photo of the back of the eyepiece. It works surprisingly well, although it can take time to setup. I used a Pentax Omni 85 compact camera with a homemade bracket for an old fashioned cable release for triggering. There is plenty of potential for light leakage.

Fitting a DSLR to an Astro scope is a lot easier. Most astro scope come with a 1.25" focuser capable of receiving standard eyepieces. An adaptor is available to fit Nikon cameras to the focuser. No lenses are involved, focussing is done via the focus wheels on the scope while monitoring the camera.

My scope is a Skywatcher 1145p which has a 4" aperture tube and a focal length of 1000mm, achieved with a built in Barlow lens. If the Barlow wasn't there it would be a 500mm focal length.

I also have the option of another 2x Barlow, giving me 2000mm.

If I were starting out, I wouldn't get a spotting scope for photo work, the aperture is just too small.

If I wanted a long lens, rather than a scope, on a budget, I would trawl eBay for a cheap manual lens of Russian construction. I bought a 300mm F5.6 recently for £12.60! On a DX camera, this gives me 450mm.

If I were looking at a scope for astro photography with a DSLR, I would be looking for an 8" tube with a good, solid eq mount.

This

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello everyone just an update on my digiscoping and long lens pilgramage

i have found a solution to mounting my future lens/scope to the tripod, as well as being able to secure the camera aswell

http://vanguardworld...1-4-29-168.html

bought it this week, awesome product and i have retrofitted a tripod plate so i can still use the pistol grip tripod head, so i dont have to remove anything.

hopefully i should be able to use both rail mounts to secure both the lens tripod collar and the dslr to the rail and have two attachment points and not have either the lens or dslr hanging in mid air, cancelling any weight distortion issues :)

Once i get my hands on the lens or scope ill get some photos up attached to the rig, it should be really rigid :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: digiscope, super telephoto, ebay