Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Removing serial number from exif

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

StathisP

StathisP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello

My first post here.I bought a new camera,a Nikon D500.Is my first Nikon camera,before i used Sony A77,and i would like to ask you,how can i remove the serial number of camera and Nikkor lens from exif.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

You can use a utility such as exiftool (my recommendation), or simply the windows features for deleting metadata (under properties when right-clicking any file).

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Why would you want to do that?  Just curious...

StathisP

StathisP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Why would you want to do that?  Just curious...

I don't know how safe is to knows everyone the serial number of my camera and my lens.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I don't know the answer to that but it isn't like it s bank account information.  I have never worried about it and it could come in handy if you needed to show the image was one you shot vs. removing the info.  

Crotlaus

Crotlaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag

I have never seen the serial number of the camera or any of my lenses. Is this a feature of only some cameras?

I have a D5600 and a few DX lenses with a serial number on each one of the lens.

AF Fisheye 10.5mm 1.28G ED

AF-S 35mm 1.8G

AF-S Micro 40mm 2.8G -------- number is preceded by "US"

AF-P 10-20mm 4.5-5.6G

AF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 G II

AF-S 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G II ED