Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon P1000 How to use Raw and see result..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

PhilG

PhilG

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWales UK

Hello, Pretty new here, thanks for letting me join.

I have purchased a Nikon P1000 Coolpix and notice it has the function for RAW, what i am asking is where do i start on using this as i would like to enhance some of my photos and i believe this helps.

If i could just have a few pointers on what i would need do, what i would need to use and how to achieve getting to the point where i can say i have created an image in RAW would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Phil G

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

If you used to fill your flash card with a given number of jpg takes,
count that you might only store about 20~25 % of that number as
RAWs are somewhat larger files than jpg images in MB terms. That
means that you maybe should contemplate a higher capacity card.

After SR, you transfer your files to your computer to be processed
in a RAW converter and, ultimately, converted them into images.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You are absolutely right in thinking that shooting in raw gives you more information to work with than a lossy format like .jpg that processes the raw capture in camera, throws way everything except the 8 bits the format can handle and then compresses it.

I think the P1000 uses NRW format raw files and not the NEF format the DSLR and MILCs use. Set your camera to capture RAW files (page 121 in the reference manual).

When you get to a computer, ingest the file using either a card reader or your camera and an USB cable (I much prefer a reader).

Depending on what editor you have installed, you can either use the raw converter built-in in your editor or use some other software to convert your raw file to something usable for further editing (if needed).

If you decide to use a standalone raw converter that doesn't have any pixel editing capabilities, such as Nikon View NX-i or Capture NX-D, export to .tif for further editing when you are ready to work beyond what the converter can do or are simply finished with the file.