Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D7500 third party battery compatibility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello, I recently upgraded to a D7500 which I am enjoying getting to grips with. I have a question about third party batteries, I have read the D7500 doesn't work third party batteries if the camera has had a firmware update, is this true ? I have seen many YouTube videos with photographers using other brands in their cameras.i am particularly interested in ravpower batteries as they look great value on Amazon. Thanks for any help.

Crotlaus

Crotlaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag

When I bought my D5600 I wanted an extra battery. The salesman said that only a Nikon battery would work in it. He took a new non Nixon battery and put it in the camera. There was an error message that said something like "battery not found".

I suspect that Nikon has a chip in the battery that the camera reads to determine if it is a Nikon battery. HP has done it in some of their ink cartridges. The reason behind this is force you to buy their products. 

If you could have your local camera shop try a non Nikon battery to find out if it would work.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

It is likely dependent on which 3rd party battery. That said, I use 3rd party batteries from several different manufacturers as spares for  all of my cameras (D7500, D750, Z50 and Panasonic FZ1000 II). I have never had a problem with any of them not working.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I use several types from Wasabi Power for my D750 and D700's without issue.  I've only found them from, ''thebluenook'' on E-bay though.  They're priced between cheap aftermarket batteries and genuine Nikon, but I've found they're worth the extra money over the cheapies, yet still below Nikon enough to make them worth it.