Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Greetings from the UK and a question on 35-70 f.3.5 AiS

35-70mm f.3.5 ais

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

alexsomerset

alexsomerset

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Greetings from the UK to all Nikon users. I am a UK professional using Nikon and Fuji cameras and lenses.

I have aquired from my Dad a Nikkor 35-70mm f.3.5 (constant) AiS zoom lens. It hasn't been used at all for some years and is in 'as new' condition.

This is proving to be an excellent studio lens attached to a digital body. After doing some online research I could find very little on this lens except for a good review from Ken Rockwell.

My copy of this lens which, from the serial no. I guess is from 1985 or therabouts.

My real question is about the focus ring. I find it has a very light, easy focus action and I wondered if this is usual for this lens. Ken Rockwell's review suggests that the AiS version is well damped but the previous Ai version has a much lighter action.

If anyone has this lens perhaps you could shed a little light on this. Personally I prefer a well damped focus feel so maybe the lens just needs a service after years of non use

Looking forward to joining in the forum.

IMG_5538.JPG IMG_5537.JPG

Alexsomerset

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

review suggests that the AiS version is well damped

Welcome Alex!

… possibly referring to the zoom ring?

alexsomerset

alexsomerset

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi and thanks for your reply.. I've double checked.. its the focus ring I'm referring to!

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi and thanks for your reply.. I've double checked.. its the focus ring I'm referring to!

I could live with a soft focus ring but not with a zoom one!

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

I posted to your other thread- will copy here,

Loose focus is common on manual focus Nikon lenses, a sign that it would benefit from a CLA. 

I could not find online instructions for your lens- The older Ai version is the closest on Richard Haw's website.

Repair: Zoom-Nikkor 35-70mm f/3.5 Ai | Richard Haw's Classic Nikon Repair and Review

On some of these zooms you can get lucky and work some lubricant into it without a complete disassembly.

A competent repair shop will have no problem servicing the lens.

I use white lithium grease for most lenses. On the Nikon 80~200/4.5, I wanted to stop zoom creep. I used vacuum pump grease, a little dab will do it.