Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3200 Auto Focus on Some Lenses Not Functioning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

M� iri

M� iri

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi!

I’m new to the forums and new to this whole photography thing. Please bear with me if I show any lack of understanding or misuse terminology.

I have an old D3200 and I love it. I toyed with some old manual lenses to learn from the bottom up and now that I realise this passion is here to stay I figured it was time to build up my kit.

Before I say anything about the AF problem please remember that AF works perfectly on the standard 18-55mm that came with the camera. So I don’t think this is an issue with the camera body itself. At least, I hope not! I can switch from manual to autofocus and AF works on aperture and shutter priority etc. It just works as it should.

I have purchased 3 lenses, all with AF. None will perform AF, there is no half way shutter, it just immediately shoots. 

All 3 lenses are compatible with my camera. They are:

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm F/3.4-5.6G II 

Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8

Nikon AF Nikkor 28-100mm 1:3.5-5.6G

I have reset the camera, I have updated the firmware, I have cleaned the lens connectors and everything I can think of.

The upgraded standard lens would only shoot on AF setting when in live view. I was unable to change this in settings, but even so, it was still not focusing, let alone using AF.

They focus nicely when the correct focal length is reached but there is simply no AF functionality. I switch back to my standard that came with the camera and absolutely no issues occur. Without an aperture ring on any of them I do rely on the camera’s AF or I’m slave to the focal length only.

What am I missing? I’m loving this camera so much but without full use I feel like I can’t fully enjoy my photography. I don’t believe I have 3 faulty lenses, all coincidentally with the same issue.

Any help would be so appreciated. This hobby is fast becoming my life and I’m so frustrated!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D40, D60, D3xxx and D5xxx bodies have a dumbed-down F-mount without the focus motor in the camera of earlier or higher-end bodies. This means that you need lenses with a focus motor in the lens for AF to work.

In Nikon nomenclature, this means AF-S lenses. AF lenses will meter the light as they have the communications chip that the camera needs for the lightmeter, but not autofocus.

The 18-55 should work without any problems, there is something wrong somewhere.

The 50 and the 28-105 should work, but without AF. The focus ring for manual focus is at the front of the barrel. You need to set the aperture to the smallest setting (highest number) and control the aperture from the body, just like with G-type lenses.