Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help me build my kit

camera upgrade lens purchase

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

binnsD1

binnsD1

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Happy New Year All, 

I’m building my kit and wanted advice on the next lens to add.   I’m currently shooting on a D7000.  Should I forgo another lens and upgrade my camera?  I was thinking of purchasing the D500.  My current lenses are:

1.   AFS – 70 – 300 f4.5-5.6 

2.   AFS – 35 mm f1.8 G 

3.   Micro-Nikkor 105 mm f4 (Manual Focus) 

4.   AF-S Nikkor 18-105 f1.3 – 5.6 

5.   Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G 

Thanks ,

Karl 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You have a good set of lenses. Where do you feel you need to expand the set? Wider? Narrower? Faster? Is the 35 you have the DX version or the FX one?

Why do you want to upgrade the D7000? As we know nothing about your personal style yet, it is difficult to give advise... If you want low-light performance or more dynamic range, going full-frame might be a better upgrade than a D500. If you like the ergonomics of your D7000, a D7500 might make more sense unless you need a higher frame rate or a bigger buffer. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I had the same questions as Peter when I was reading through your post.  What types of photographs do you normally shoot and where do you feel your current equipment is not at the level you would like?

binnsD1

binnsD1

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You have a good set of lenses. Where do you feel you need to expand the set? Wider? Narrower? Faster? Is the 35 you have the DX version or the FX one?

Why do you want to upgrade the D7000? As we know nothing about your personal style yet, it is difficult to give advise... If you want low-light performance or more dynamic range, going full-frame might be a better upgrade than a D500. If you like the ergonomics of your D7000, a D7500 might make more sense unless you need a higher frame rate or a bigger buffer. 

Thank you Peter, 

My 35 mm is a DX version.   I have not narrowed down my personal style yet.  I'm too much of a newbie at this point.  Most of my shooting has been nature, micro photography and landscapes.    I enjoy the natural world and want to learn as much as I can about this type of photography.  I do enjoy the ergonomics of the D7000, because as a tall guy I have large hands.   Why the D500?  I guess I have been watching too many YouTube videos. I like the dual card slot and battery grip on my D7000.  My D7000 is working fine, just thinking ahead as to my next move.  

I had the same questions as Peter when I was reading through your post.  What types of photographs do you normally shoot and where do you feel your current equipment is not at the level you would like?

Hi TBonz,

I'm too much of a newbie to know at the point what my current equipment is not offering me.     I have not narrowed down my personal style yet.   Most of my shooting has been nature, micro photography and landscapes.    I enjoy the natural world and want to learn as much as I can about this type of photography.  I do enjoy the ergonomics of the D7000, because as a tall guy I have large hands.   Why the D500?  I guess I have been watching too many YouTube videos. I like the dual card slot and battery grip on my D7000.  My D7000 is working fine, just thinking ahead as to my next move.  

K

Hamiltonblue

Hamiltonblue

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you Peter, 

My 35 mm is a DX version.   I have not narrowed down my personal style yet.  I'm too much of a newbie at this point.  Most of my shooting has been nature, micro photography and landscapes.    I enjoy the natural world and want to learn as much as I can about this type of photography.  I do enjoy the ergonomics of the D7000, because as a tall guy I have large hands.   Why the D500?  I guess I have been watching too many YouTube videos. I like the dual card slot and battery grip on my D7000.  My D7000 is working fine, just thinking ahead as to my next move.  

If a camera is possible, I'd suggest the Z5 with 24-70 Kit lens and F adapter.  Maybe even a used Z6 now that the Z6ii is out.

DX lenses wouldn't work but those could be sold or even traded in as part of a new camera at a shop.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Hamiltonblue, with the two DX lenses and one manual focus one, going Z and FX doesn't make much sense as the DX lenses don't allow for using the full sensor and the manual lens won't meter easily. 

binnsD1, wouldn't it be better to just get some speedlights and maybe a ringlight for macro use and just go out and use what you have until you feel that you kit keeps you back? 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

If you are too new to determine what you feel is missing from your kit, I would think the answer to what is missing is effectively nothing, yet...It would be hard to tell if you need something with a longer or wider reach or something for lower light or what.  However Peter's suggestion does bring up something you didn't mention in picking up one or more speedlights / ringlights.  The built-in flash on the bodies really doesn't provide sufficient lighting in many cases.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
@binnsD1, if you like the ergonomics of the D7000 you might move to the D7500 (as already suggested by Peter), or if the dual SD slots is important, the D7200.

There are benefits in the ergonomy of the D500 on different aspects, but it depends if you think it is worth to put the extra money. Other than that, for the type of photography that you mentioned I don’t see a special benefit of using the D500 over a D7200/D7500.

On the lenses you have a good set, I would extend to where YOU see a need - here it is difficult for us to help, unless you state where you feel you don’t think you get the picture what you hoped for.

As Peter mentioned, you might want to add speed/ring lights. You might also look for good tripod.