Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Using a flash around a Fog/Mist Machine

flash strobist technical

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

So guys Iv been doing a lot of parties lately and the major issue I am coming up with is when trying to shoot people dancing with the strobe lights on, if i don't use a flash i can see all the lasers and the dancing lights but the people are just silhouettes if that, normally they are just black with the background.

But that other issue i am having is when i use a flash the photos all come out really grey and misty due to the fog.

I was wondering should i adjust white balance and if to what to? Should i change my exposure on my Speedlight?

Any help suggestions or tips welcome guys :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If there is light enough, I would turn AutoISO off, set ISO as high as I am comfortable with, the camera to M, aperture to wide open, spotmeter on a greycard to set shutterspeed and use the greycard to set WB. I would then use those settings for the evening, chimping now and then to see that things haven't changed too much.

If flash is needed, I would put a polarizing gel on the flash and use a polarizer on the lens to minimize the light scatter in the fog. I would probably program FEL to the Fn button and use liberally to avoid blinking eyes from the preflash.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

umm thats interesting, wouldn't it be hard to set the White balance when the lasers are constantly changing colour, but the Gel is an awesome idea and the filter to, would i white balance for the flashes filter?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you whitebalance for good skintones without the lasers, they usually give an ambience rather than a fully blown WB.

Polarizers are colour neutral, or slightly warm. I use a Lee neutral gel set at 45° on the flash and a B+W F-pro C-pol @ approx. 45°. It normally doesn't affect the WB.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Presume you are already dragging the shutter to get ambient light in?

Maybe put a modifier on the flash head to make it more directional and not so wide to cut through the fog?

NikonJedi

NikonJedi

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationFlorida

Most importantly, don't forget that the lasers can fry your sensor and destroy it. I have to research more on this, but I know a story of this happening and is reported in a blog.

I wouldn't risk my sensor with any lasers. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I am far from a flash expert, as in I would be happy not even having a flash for most of my shooting!  That said, a flash should exhibit the same issues as a car's headlights in fog.  The fog will reflect the light to an extent so you will get some gray and fog in the photos. 

You didn't indicate what your settings were, but I would think you could push the ISO up and still be able to get something more than a silhouette while stopping movement without the flash - worth giving it a try...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flash, strobist, technical