Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Film Camera Lens on Digital Camera?

lens d7200

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

zevell

zevell

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a D7200 and have been offered an older 35-70 AF Nikon lens from a Nikon F801 film camera.  I understand that the zoom range would be 52-105, and because the D7200 has a lens motor in body, in theory this lens should work.  But would it work properly, and how would the image quality compare to a new Digital Nikon lens?  Is it ever worth using older film camera lenses on digital cameras?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Which version of the 35-70 is it?

The f/2.8 was the pro normal zoom in its day and is still a stellar performer.

The first f/3.3-4.5 with the ribbed plastic focus ring wasn't that good.

The second f/3.3-4.5 OTOH was a solid workhorse, not to the standard of the pro lens but it works and is relatively small and unobtrusive. The new version started at SN 4000001 and has the same patterned rubber on both zoom and focus rings.

Old Ai and later lenses are definitely worth trying on digital as you might find that you like some aspect of an older lens, even if it isn't as crisp as a modern one.

Musicman

Musicman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNevada

Using older film camera lenses on digital cameras, in my opinion, is totally fine. You'd be amazed at the quality of the images produced. Of course it all depends on the quality of the lens.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens, d7200