Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Auto winder AW-1 service tips

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

tonyzoc

tonyzoc

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag
I've recented picked up a Nikkormat ELw and a Nikon EL2 both with the AW-1 auto winder. Both auto winders needed to motor gear replaced. You can find them on eBay sold by Sover Wong or you can buy direct from him. I started repairing the AW-1 with full disassembly, but after a couple of repairs I could the best way to tackle this is as follows...
Heat up the top leatherette cover with a heat gun or hair drier...get it hot and peel off the cover.
Remove the 2 screws holding a collar at the drive hole
Remove the metal plate...I think about 7 screws all exactly the same
With that cover off you can see the nylon gear. Check it with a magnifier for a thin crack.
Remove the gear with needle nose or forceps
Heat up the replacement gear (assuming it's brass) and with tweezers position it and tap it down. I used a screw driver with a small socket head and a hammer. Light taps and it will slide down into position with the motor shaft flush to the top of the gear
That's it...reassemble and test before gluing the leatherette back in place
If it still doesn't work then the gears might have seized up requiring a full disassembly and clean and lube.
I've had one gear replacement go smoothly as above, and a second drive had to be disassembled and cleaned and lubed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
  • Brian likes this

tonyzoc

tonyzoc

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

I've recented picked up a Nikkormat ELw and a Nikon EL2 both with the AW-1 auto winder. Both auto winders needed to motor gear replaced. You can find them on eBay sold by Sover Wong or you can buy direct from him. I started repairing the AW-1 with full disassembly, but after a couple of repairs I could the best way to tackle this is as follows...
Heat up the top leatherette cover with a heat gun or hair drier...get it hot and peel off the cover.
Remove the 2 screws holding a collar at the drive hole
Remove the metal plate...I think about 7 screws all exactly the same
With that cover off you can see the nylon gear. Check it with a magnifier for a thin crack.
Remove the gear with needle nose or forceps
Heat up the replacement gear (assuming it's brass) and with tweezers position it and tap it down. I used a screw driver with a small socket head and a hammer. Light taps and it will slide down into position with the motor shaft flush to the top of the gear
That's it...reassemble and test before gluing the leatherette back in place
If it still doesn't work then the gears might have seized up requiring a full disassembly and clean and lube.
I've had one gear replacement go smoothly as above, and a second drive had to be disassembled and cleaned and lubed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/XBvI41qup9E

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk