Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

80-400mm NIKKOR AF VR 1:4.5-5.6D won’t work with D3500?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Firoj

Firoj

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Just some background: my whole life I have mainly used auto program so forgive my ignorance on this subject. I originally bought this lens for my D200 at the time.

I haven’t touched my camera in years and decided to get the D3500 since I pretty much need to start all over learning to use a camera.

I put this lens on my D3500 but in the LCD it says the lens is not compatible.

I have googled this, but apparently I’m an idiot.

So my question is: is there no way to use this lens with my D3500?

Thanks in advance.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I've used some old lenses on my D5500 with success, (an old Nikkor 75-300 f4.5-5.6 as a manual focus only as there's no in camera focus motor on the D3000 and D5000 series cameras).

If it's the older version with an aperture ring, find the tiny orange switch just above the aperture ring, turn the ring to f32, and lock the switch, (orange to orange) mount the lens and it may work, if only as a manual focus lens.  All aperture settings will be in camera, the ring will be locked.

If it's the newer ''G'' version, it should work simply by mounting it, (I would think).

I hope this works for you, if not maybe Peter will chime in with a suggestion, he's much more knowing about these things than I am. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It is the old screw-drive version and AF won't work as there is no focus motor in the lens. I am not sure if the lens chip is incompatible with the metering in the D3500 or it just needs to be locked at the smallest aperture (largest number) as I am not familiar with he current D3xxx and D5xxx bodies.