Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mirrorless Lens vs. F Lens - Pros and Cons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

debbielkoehler@gmail.c

debbielkoehler@gmail.c
  • Country Flag

Hello! - Looking for feedback from anyone who owns a Mirrorless camera.  I currently have the Z6, and the 24-70mm Lens. (love it!)   I've been using the FTZ adapter with my previous AF-S 70-300 1:4.5-5.6 G lens.  I'm not liking how the lens performs for capturing sporting events.  It seems like it's too hard to focus and struggles to focus fast enough to capture my shots.  I looked at a new Sigma 70-200  f/2.8 GS OS HSM Sport lens (Approx $1400) which would still need my FTZ adapter.  (however, in test running it at the camera shop was night and day better than my current zoom lens).  My other consideration (although significantly more investment is the Nikon Z 70-200 f/2.8 VR S (approx $2400).  In looking at ebay and FB Marketplace, finding some decent prices on used Sigma's (same model) but most were selling due to upgrading to mirrorless.  Would love feedback from anyone who's had experience in either/both.  Wondering if the Sigma would make me feel better but soon after, would run into other unintended issues, which would make me wish I would've waited and invested in the Z lens to begin with.  Thank you!!

Hamiltonblue

Hamiltonblue
  • Country Flag

Hello! - Looking for feedback from anyone who owns a Mirrorless camera.  I currently have the Z6, and the 24-70mm Lens. (love it!)   I've been using the FTZ adapter with my previous AF-S 70-300 1:4.5-5.6 G lens.  I'm not liking how the lens performs for capturing sporting events.  It seems like it's too hard to focus and struggles to focus fast enough to capture my shots.  I looked at a new Sigma 70-200  f/2.8 GS OS HSM Sport lens (Approx $1400) which would still need my FTZ adapter.  (however, in test running it at the camera shop was night and day better than my current zoom lens).  My other consideration (although significantly more investment is the Nikon Z 70-200 f/2.8 VR S (approx $2400).  In looking at ebay and FB Marketplace, finding some decent prices on used Sigma's (same model) but most were selling due to upgrading to mirrorless.  Would love feedback from anyone who's had experience in either/both.  Wondering if the Sigma would make me feel better but soon after, would run into other unintended issues, which would make me wish I would've waited and invested in the Z lens to begin with.  Thank you!!

A little late, but I found that if you switch the lens to the 15m-infinity setting you will bet much faster response.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Hamiltonblue, where is the limiter on the OP-s 70-300?

stevev

stevev
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Coast

I'm sure you have considered the Z 24-200/4-6.3.   Many positive reviews on YouTube, and reasonably priced (c. $1100).

TBonz

TBonz
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

If she is photographing sports, the 24-200 or any Superzoom would not be the best choice.  Certainly the Nikon Z 70-200 would be the best choice in that range.  I expect that the OP would have better luck tracking down a used F model 70-200 f2.8 VRII which should work well with the adapter.  Perhaps one of our folks has some experience with that combination.  I don't have mirrorless, so I am speaking of DSLR bodies right now. I don't recall anyone I've worked with / around shooting the Sigma 70-200 however I know several who shoot the Tamron.  I thought the Tamron was slower focusing than the Nikon VRII - not by much but it doesn't take much to miss "the" shot with sports.

Jerry_

Jerry_
  • Country Flag
If you are buying into a system, the best is to stay with that system. Or to say it differently: getting the Z 70-200/2.8 is your best - even so not cheapest - option, including for the long term.

Getting a F mount Nikon 70-200/2.8 will be your second best choice, as Nikon will check to align the FTZ adapter to work with it’s old lenses.

Getting third party brand lenses (Sigma/Tamron/..) will work but may possibly create issues with futher firmwares. If you go that way, pay attention to choose lenses for which the firmware can be updated easily (i.e with an adapter)

As for the Sigma 70-200/2.8 Sports I don’ t have it - I use the Tamron versions (both G1 and G2, for non-professional purpose) and all I can say is that they work fine (on F mount, ie DSLR, systems)