Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

new member needs help

nikon d3400 macro lens

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

trebor sevi

trebor sevi

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi all i am a beginner with very little experience. i have a nikon d3400. i want to do close up work which i believe requires a macro lens? can you advise me what is the best all round lens to buy, and why? thanks in advance.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That will depend on how elaborate lighting you will need, what working distance you want to get a set magnification and your budget.

The perspective will vary with the working distance, 1:1 with a 40 mm will look dramatically different from 1:1 with a 200 mm lens.

A longer lens will let you keep more distance between the front element and the subject, making it easier to add or form light.

If you want AF to work, you will need a lens with a built-in focus motor, as always with the D3xxx and D5xxx bodies.

IME, the best starting point is a current true macro lens in the 90-105 mm range from either of the top three third-party brands (Tokina, Tamron and Sigma) or the Nikon 105VR if funds allow. A 60 is cheaper, but getting the subject evenly lit is a little bit harder.

The 85 mm Nikkor is optimised for the DX format, but they took things a bit too far and it both vignettes and distorts at the edges. As it is in the same price range as the third-party alternatives, I wouldn't get this one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d3400, macro, lens