Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New toy on the way

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I just ordered a Z50 with the two kitlenses. The store was out of stock, so we'll see when I get it.

I think it will be fun finding out the quirks of a new camera and what it does better than the D7200 or the D750 I already have.

Does anyone know how well the Sigma 150-600 Sports works on the FTZ?

mikew

mikew
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Cant help with that but the Sigma 100-400 works well on it

49497901076_2abc98e470_b.jpgDSC_3529 by electric.mike, on Flickr

49409495463_27295f39e1_b.jpgDSC_3378 by electric.mike, on Flickr

krag96

krag96
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Well sir, you have two great Nikons to compare it to, and we'll be looking forward to your review and impressions of the Z50.  I understand there's a lot of goodness in these newer mirrorless cameras, probably most of all the new mount which should allow more light to get to the sensor, (if I understand what I've read  correctly). 

I got a little more basic myself, I found a Japanese made 50mm 1.8 AF at a good price, should be here next week. 

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I got a little more basic myself, I found a Japanese made 50mm 1.8 AF at a good price, should be here next week. 

As it is Japanese made, is it the first version with the ribbed plastic focus ring? If it is this version, it had a running change @ S/N 3000001 that made it shed 45 grams of mass without lowering the optical quality. The later AF version with the rubber focus ring was at least mostly made in China. This one only differs from the AF 50/1.8D in that it doesn't give the body the distance information needed for 3D Matrix flash metering.

krag96

krag96
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Right you are, Peter.  It's a non D lens with the ribbed plastic focus ring which doesn't matter to me as I don't meter in matrix much at all. 

bluzman

bluzman
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

I just ordered a Z50 with the two kitlenses. The store was out of stock, so we'll see when I get it.

I think it will be fun finding out the quirks of a new camera and what it does better than the D7200 or the D750 I already have.

Does anyone know how well the Sigma 150-600 Sports works on the FTZ?

I've had my Z50 for almost a year. I got mine with the two kit lenses and the FTZ adapter. I don't own the Sigma 150-600 Sports so I'm no help on that score. I do own the Sigma 100-400mm Contemporary but, to date, I've been using that lens only on my D7500 and D750. The reason is that I've been quite pleased with the 50-250mm kit lens.

wQNiZCYh.jpg

dLtP9eoh.jpg

bluzman

bluzman
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

Peter, here's another observation regarding your new Z50. When I compare the IQ of BIFs shot with my Z50 using the 50-250mm kit lens and those shot with my D7500 using the AF-P DX 70-300mm lens, the D7500 always seems to produce a better result. This is purely my opinion and it only applies to my experience with BIFs.

That is not to say that the Z50 is not able to acquire wonderful images, including birds in flight. I think you're really going to enjoy your "new toy".

adjWc4Kh.jpg

YsBusVuh.jpg

0bo7AsXh.jpg

Dogbytes

Dogbytes
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

My new toy arrived last week. I finally found a mint (looked like it had never been on a camera) AF-S 58mm f1.4G. Wanted one for years! See my blog post for my rather long-winded initial thoughts. Well, it’s Christmas so, as usual, there was nothing on TV. 

Good luck with the Z50, Peter, I do like those mirrorless Nikon’s. 

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

... and another new toy on the way! I got a good price on a Z6II and a 35/1.8 last week and couldn't resist at that price. The package should be here late next week if things work as they should.

krag96

krag96
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I suppose we'll be seeing the results in, ''Your Best Photo of the Week'' then. :)

No 5:4 ratio? :( I guess you can't have it all in one package.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I wish I could have found a Z7II at this low price... The price seems to have been a temporary campaign, they are at just a few percent below MSRP again now.

krag96

krag96
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Would you need, or even want that many MP's in a full frame camera?  I would rather reserve 50 (ish) MP's and above for a Medium format camera. 

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The high resolution by itself, no. 20-24 MP is enough for my needs. The interesting thing is what happens when you pixelbin a 40+ MP sensor down to 20 MP. You get a stronger signal while the noise isn't amplified, giving a much better S/N ratio. The dynamic range increases as well, making for much more detail in both deep shadows and almost-blown highlights. I have lots of old classic F-mount glass that still performs well with high-res sensors and would take a lot of money to replace in a medium format system... The Z7ii costs too much for a want camera, rather than a need camera for my usage.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It isn't too difficult to shoot in 5:4... This first shot was shot, uploaded to iPhone with Snapbridge and lightly edited in LR on the phone.

gallery_1251_808_157664.jpeg

Z6II, Z 35/1.8 S

krag96

krag96
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Interesting, and again, you're getting some great colors with it...almost like a mirrorless D700.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

krag96, the tangent about the Z7II was because it offers 5:4 unlike the Z6 and Z6II.

krag96

krag96
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I know, I wish my D700 had it. 

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It is time to replace my very battered 80-200/2.8 after 23 years. It started squeaking 7 years ago and has been relegated to paying jobs since then to try to get as much life out of it as possible. I have rented all three versions of the F 70-200 and never connected with any of them. I now have a  Z 70-200 on order on the way. It handles way better *for me* than the F - mount 70-200 telezooms ever did.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

It is time to replace my very battered 80-200/2.8 after 23 years. It started squeaking 7 years ago and has been relegated to paying jobs since then to try to get as much life out of it as possible. I have rented all three versions of the F 70-200 and never connected with any of them. I now have a  Z 70-200 on order on the way. It handles way better *for me* than the F - mount 70-200 telezooms ever did.

I had the latest version of the 70-200/2.8 when I had my D850. It would be on the shortlist for my favourite lens ever, I loved it but I didn’t like the earlier versions at all. Just goes to show, it doesn’t matter what the reviews say - you pick up a bit of kit and you either like it or you don’t. Good luck with the Z version, Peter, it does look like a brilliant lens. 

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The E is the best of the three, nearly as nice as the AF-S 80-200. There is something about how they balance handheld. I like frontheavy tele lenses.