Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

High Speed Sync

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Adamwesleyo

Adamwesleyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ok so I have a question. I am messing more and more with flashes for fill light and what not. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions with a wide aperture and being able to add flash in high sunlight or ambient light situations. I've been reading up on high speed sync but would think there would be a way to run a manual flash faster than 1/200th and still be able to get a fill flash bright enough to make a difference. Everything I've been reading about HSS says you lose a lot of lighting power running HSS but I did read something about using a HSS flash as a trigger and having your slave able to fire at higher power. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The trouble with normal sync mode and short shutter speeds is not about power or sync.

A focal plane shutter does never open fully at speeds shorter than x-sync, because the second curtain starts travelling before the first has stopped. That is why HSS mode strobes the flash, and to do that it must reduce output.

Is it not easier to use a ND filter to get to normal sync speed?

Some optical slaves might be able to fire the flash more than once triggered by the HSS strobe, but lighting will be very uneven since some parts will have one and some several flashes.

Adamwesleyo

Adamwesleyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yeah I'm thinking ND filters are about the only way I'm going to get the results I am looking for. Cheaper than HSS strobes too. 

samcooper

samcooper

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Pocket Wizards Hyper Sync is something that i use to over come this issue and as a exterem action sports photographer it is a big problem in the summer months.

http://www.pocketwiz...persync_fpsync/

Either that or get a D50 which has a flash synch rate of 1/500th! crazy fast