Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

digitising 35mm slides

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

genik

genik

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
I want to digitise my 35mm slides. Ive seen the Nikon ES-2 in reviews and it does a pretty good job in digitising with the use of the camera.
I also have the Nikor 105mm macro lens, but im not certain if its compatible with the ES-2.
1. has anyone got an opinion on this issue?
2. other than the ES-2 can i use something else with my camera to digitise my slides?

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I am using the ES-2 with great pleasure but not with my 105!
I use the 60 mm macro for that purpose.

Have a good time!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The ES-2 needs the current 60 mm MicroNikkor on an FX body to reproduce the full slide.

To use your 105, you will need some kind of bellows and a slide holder to make a repro rig.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Ditto. I use the ES-2 with my 60mm Micro Nikkor f/2.8D lens on FX and my AFS 40mm Micro Nikkor f/2.8 on DX. The ES-2 can be a bit fiddly at times but does a reasonably good job, even with negatives. The 105mm Micro Nikkors are not supported.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ron, does the ES-2 reproduce the full area on your D lens? The two 60-s have the same focal length at infinity, but the AF-S has a shorter focal length at 1:1. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Sorry for the delay, Peter. I've been off line awhile. 

The ES-2 just barely covers the full 35mm picture area when using the older 60mm f/2.8D Micro Nikkor. And even then it's often a chore to accomplish. At least that's been my experience. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much with it lately. I'm pretty sure it works better with the newer AF-S 60mm lens. 

--Ron

genik

genik

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

So using my 105mm is not a good way to do this.

What other options do i have to digitise my 35mm slides?

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

So using my 105mm is not a good way to do this.

What other options do i have to digitise my 35mm slides?

Forget the 105. The older manual 55 macro is an option.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The ES-2 is made for the AF-S 60 on FX and can be used with the AF-S DX 40 macro on DX. The 55, either the f/2.8 or the f/3.5 can be used, but you need a PK-13 to get them to 1:1.

What body do you have? 

If you have a light table, you can rig something up to use your 105 for slide repro, but it won't be easy to use.

genik

genik

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Even if i manage to use the 105, now that that i come to think of it, i have around 2000 slides... maybe it wasn't a good idea afterall

Not sure what else could i do.. a slide scanner perhaps?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The ES-2 is by far the fastest way to digitise slides and negs. 

If you have a DX body, the 40/2.8 works with the ES-2 without any adapter or bodging. This kit is in the same ballpark (if you have a suitable body) when it comes to cost as a flatbed scanner with a transparency lid and will be around 6 times as fast per slide.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The ES-2 is designed to work with the AF-S 60mm Micro Nikkor and a full frame Nkion body that has the ability to turn negatives into positives in body. Nikon advertising never mentions any other options. Naturally, they want you to go out and buy a new D850 and an AF-S 60mm to use with this rig.

That said, it also can be used with any digital Nikon, either DX or FX with either an AF-S 60mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor or an AF 60mm f/2.8D on an FX body. Adapters are included. For DX bodies the preferred lens is the AF-S 40mm f/2.8 which needs no adapter.

Nikon mentions no other options. However, as Peter correctly points out, other Nikon macro lenses can be used with appropriate adapters. Sadly, the 105mm is not among them. 

In use, the ES-2 works very well, and once you have it set up you can burn through a lot of slides or negatives in a relatively short amount of time. Of course the quality of your output will depend to a large extent on which camera body and lens you use. (see note about D850 and AF-S 60mm above).

--Ron

genik

genik

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

The ES-2 is by far the fastest way to digitise slides and negs.

Faster than making slide scans on a scanner? I have close to 2000 slides.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Yep!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Much faster, unless you have small scratches on the slides and need scratch removal on many of them.