Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wifi/Bluetooth not working with D5600

wireless wifi wi-fi d5600 bluetooth

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

CGT465

CGT465

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I am new here and I am having a major issue trying to get my camera to connect to my phone. I've worked with Nikon support, attempted to reach out to Adorama (where I bought it), and have had zero luck getting this resolved. Due to the current pandemic, Nikon is closed as is any camera stores by me, To my knowledge the camera operates fine beyond the use of Snapbridge or trying to connect with a phone
Here is the message I sent to customer support at Nikon

I purchased a new D5600 in Oct of 2019. I have a Motorola G6 Android phone and cannot get them to pair anymore. I have spoken with Nikon customer support, I have spoken to Adorama, and I have researched this with no resolution on the web, through message boards and youtube videos.
I fear there's something wrong with my camera.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled Snapbridge, I even brought out my old Samsung S7 Edge and tried to connect with that, but it won't see it.
Every time I click on "Establish Network connection" I get a message stating "Unable to connect."
It's getting very frustrating and I would really like to start taking night sky photos again, where a remote isn't just a nice to have it's more or less a necessity. I also photograph hummingbirds and similar where being able to remotely control the camera increases the chance for a good shot.
For some reason I just don't think it's broadcasting a wireless signal anymore. No device I've tried (2 android and 1 iPod touch) have been able to even see the camera, I've even brought a Samsung S7 edge back to test with, and same results.
Thank you
  • Product: D5600
  • Computer/Mobile operating system: Android 9 Pie

djlauria

djlauria

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I've had no luck troubleshooting this problem, it occurs with our iPhone as well. Here's the thread I started in January: 

Can't pair with D5600 at all - Beginner Questions - NikonForums.com

CGT465

CGT465

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

It's getting really frustrating and I do understand that some people have had no issues with snapbridge. I've used that software with my current phone to take some night sky photography back in the beginning of November. When it worked it was great, I could modify any setting I needed to. However, now the camera just will not pair with the Moto g6, or the Samsung S7 or the latest gen iPod touch. 
I do see the Moto g6 as a paired device on the Bluetooth menu on the camera, but at no point did either device indicate the pairing was successful. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

A D5600 with the 1.10 firmware is said to work with WMU or qDSLRDashboard. I haven't tried it myself as I don't have any of the previously Snapbridgecrippled cameras. Nikon support don't seem to give the option when contacted by end-users even though WMU is their own software.

CGT465

CGT465

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

A D5600 with the 1.10 firmware is said to work with WMU or qDSLRDashboard. I haven't tried it myself as I don't have any of the previously Snapbridgecrippled cameras. Nikon support don't seem to give the option when contacted by end-users even though WMU is their own software.

I talked to someone at Nikon today, it appears there could be something wrong with the camera. I'm not picking up a radio signal from it when using Netstumbler or similar scanning software. When it did work, it would pop up on my phone with the correct SSID. 
Now the sad part, Nikon isn't open for repairs so until the shop is opened I have to hold onto it. This just limits me from not using a remote shutter release, which, while it stinks, the camera, to my knowledge is fully operational otherwise

DEvansWA

DEvansWA

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I was having trouble connecting via Bluetooth using a D5600 and an Android v.10.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  So I finally tried using the "Wi-Fi Direct" approach for connection and now get a connection every time.  But the connection won't let me actually capture a photo-- I can see the LiveView on my Android, I can use the phone to adjust settings (shutter speed, f/stop, etc.), and the camera focuses when pointed to a new view.  But tapping the exposure button on the Android only results in the camera doing another re-focus.   Sometimes after I've left the camera turned off and killed the SnapBridge app on Android, if I do a new full direct connect I can take a series of several photos remotely but if I back out of the SnapBridge live view (e.g., back to the SnapBridge main home screen), I lose the ability to re-enable active photo capture.

I'm guessing the real problem is in the software on the camera and the SnapBridge application.

DEvansWA

DEvansWA

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I've resolved my problem posted on Nov. 27.  Turns out the issue with the shutter not being released via SnapBridge was due to the scene being too dark for the built-in meter to work correctly (I was using Manual mode).  So now I can reliably connect the camera to the smart phone using the Wi-Fi Direct option.  Then I'm focusing manually after which I set shutter speed and aperture as desired (those settings via SnapBridge).  Now I can use small f/stops with longer exposure times as desired and not have to worry about camera vibration.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wireless, wifi, wi-fi, d5600, bluetooth