Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Removing UV filter that is stuck on

uv filter damaged filter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

stevem418

stevem418

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I dropped my primary lens for my Nikon D5600  (Nikkor DX18-55MM) cracking/shattering the UV filter.  The lens appears otherwise undamaged and a test photo is encouraging.   But I can't get the UV filter to come off.   Looking for a creative idea and solution that works.  

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
It depends a bit to what extend your filter is damaged (and if the screw mount on the lens is damaged, too)

However, what I have in my camera bag is the following

https://www.amazon.c...aps,265&sr=8-69

To remove sticky filters.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have used wide rubber bands to remove filters several times.  Basically does the same thing as the tool Jerry suggested above.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

I use a Mousepad most of the time, but have a circular adjustable wrench for tough cases. I'll use the wrench to get torque on the mouse pad after wrapping around the filter.

Never had to use a Dremel "yet" to get a filter off, but I've used it on lenses before.

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

I've used one of the old rubber pads that were used in the kitchen to open jars.  I don't know if they still make those or not.

Crotlaus

Crotlaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag

Be careful how you remove the filter. I had an old NIKKOR 18-135mm f 1.35-5.6G ED DX that the filter did not come off. When I tried to remove the filter it unscrewed the part that held the front lens in place and the lens fell out in my hand.I sent it in for repairs as the estimate was $120.00. Less than the cost of a new comparable lens. The total cost was $118.00 and it came back cleaned and it works like new, The old D80 that came with the lens is now used on a D5600. I don't know if anybody has had that type of problem. 

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Just the tiniest bit of synthetic grease on the threads will prevent this from happening. 

I had a situation where I had a broken filter stuck and all suggestions above and more did not budge it.  I finally took a pair of good sharp dikes, grasp the filter ring snuggly, but not enough to cut it and twisted, pulling the filter ring straight away from the lens threads.  Moved a short distance on the filter and did the same thing.  The filter dropped right off without any damage to the threads on the lens.  Be careful with this method and only grasp the filter ring before twisting.  I use a tiny dab of grease on the filter threads applied with a tooth pick now.

I'll add this edit, what this does is pulls the filter threads straight out and away from the lens threads and the second twist usually pulls it far enough away giving it enough room to free itself and pull it out and away from the lens threads with no damage to the lens.  There may be some youtube videos on this method.  I learned it years ago from an old repair guy at a camera shop when one of the sales guys dropped his own personal camera in the parking lot.  I was somewhat shocked at the method at first, but it took less than 10 seconds and the filter ring fell right away from the lens with no damage done to the lens.  The repairman left it up to the salesman to clean all the tiny glass particles from the lens and told him to apply a bit pf grease when he put a new filter on.