Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dodgy lens?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

HarryD

HarryD

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi all.

New member here.

Today, received via a well known online auction site by the bay a lens that I think has a problem by virtue of some movement in the manual focus ring.

Can anyone tell me if this is acceptable or should it be returned. So far, images can be placed out of focus by the slightest movement.

Any advice gratefully received.

Link to lens video (hopefully) -Access via Synology

Jimbo Prism

Jimbo Prism

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBolton

What model is the lens.

It sounds like a manual focus by wire, on some of the cheaper lenses it only takes a small touch to set it off.

regards

jim

HarryD

HarryD

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Jim

its a Nikon Nikkor Lens 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR

Harry

Jimbo Prism

Jimbo Prism

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBolton

Here is what Ken Rockwell has to say about the manual focus in his review. Note that 60° is from 12 o’clock to 2 o’clock.

"If you want manual focus, it's awful. 

It's a pain to have to slide the A - M switch back and forth to get to and from manual mode, and once you're there, manual focus is geared entirely too fast. It focuses from one extreme to the next in a quick 60º of rotation, making it almost impossible to focus precisely manually."

Regards

Jim

HarryD

HarryD

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

It’s more to do with free play in the focus ring before anything happens. It’s also possible to throw focus out of whack by the mearest contact with the ring.

The A/M switch is a known issue and isn’t a huge issue for me, I knew about it in advance anyway.

If this element of free play is normal, I’ll adapt. If it’s not, it goes back.

Therefore, still hunting to see if this is a fault or not.

Jimbo Prism

Jimbo Prism

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBolton

I think it is normal on that lens, you are not going to get the precision engineering on a £100 lens that you do on a £1k+ lens. Also the slightest touch does throw the focus "out of whack" as is said in most of the reviews. Have a read of some.

To be honest it seems like buyers remorse, your not happy so send it back.

Regards

Jim

HarryD

HarryD

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Well, after a bit more use, I settled in to this lens and the free play as I now find out is totally normal. Images are great and the lens is in otherwise very good condition indeed. It’s a keeper.

as a newbie, I had to ask, but happy now that everything is as it should be.