Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Control pannel photos taken counter

photo counter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Babic12

Babic12

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

I bought a second hand Nikon D70 and after formating my card in this camera I see in the control panel the exposure count, which I cannot reset to 0? 

How do I reset the exposure count in the control panel?

Thanaks.

BRB

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Is it the shots remaining counter you see?

This will count down as you fill the card with photos.

Babic12

Babic12

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Marco. And indeed it does. So is that counter reflecting the number of photographs that can be taken on any particular card?

Now that I have a knowledgeable photographer  to talk to can I ask what needs to be done to remove the stickiness on the body of this old camera. The surface is sticky? Does it happen to all old Nikon cameras?

Thanks,

BRBabic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Old Nikons can get sticky when exposed to ozone. You can try treating the sticky surfaces with talcum powder, but it will probably get sticky again after a while.

I haven't looked for new covering on ebay or the Chinese sites for a while, but it used to be easy to find cheap replacements even if the D70 is ancient today.

Babic12

Babic12

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

That is depressing.It means Nikon is using sub standard materials, which decay in the air after a time. Difficult to believe that Nikon would use substandard materials for their camera casings?

Has Nikon worked out a solution to this problem?

BRB

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The decaying rubber was a matter of the first generation of a new material not holding up when stored in some specific conditions. When the problem was discovered around 2005, the material was replaced in new models with another one that swelled up when exposed to DEET instead. The reason for experimenting with these new materials was that the leatherette used from the 50-s up to 1987 didn't take to the compound-curved grips that the market wanted for improved ergonomics. Canon, Pentax and Zeiss all had their problems with this generation of materials when exposed to unexpected conditions like ozone around electric motors and modern insect repellant. 

A D70 that has decayed has usually been stored somewhere in the vicinity of a compressor or some other machinery that gives off ozone or something like that.

Babic12

Babic12

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks and I suppose the best thing would be to coat the surface with something?