Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting tack sharp photos at full resolution

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

meganhaderphotography

meganhaderphotography

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a D3500 and I previously had a D3200.  I typically shoot Raw so I can do minor editing as I am not great at more in depth editing so of course the photos blow up large when you bring them up to full resolution on a computer monitor.  When I take the photo and look at it on the camera screen, it seems to be fairly sharp.  Unfortunately, when it is blown up on the computer, the photo is usually blurry at full resolution.  However, if I reduce the pixel size on the screen, the photo looks sharp.  My questions are, do I really need to worry if I can't get a tack sharp photo at 24 megapixels? The more I try to keep the camera perfectly still, the more I seem to move. And are professional photographers able to get tack sharp photos at full resolution?  I've seen lots of YouTube photographers demonstrating their techniques of how to shoot but you never see their full resolution photograph to see if they are getting a tack sharp photo at its full size.  I know they are shooting with way more expensive cameras than I have but when they're taking a photo of a bird while moving I'm doubting that they are getting 100% perfectly sharp photos. I figure I'm not the only one with these issues so I figured I'd hop on here and see what others folks thoughts are.  Thanks!

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

I have a D3500 and I previously had a D3200.  I typically shoot Raw so I can do minor editing as I am not great at more in depth editing so of course the photos blow up large when you bring them up to full resolution on a computer monitor.  When I take the photo and look at it on the camera screen, it seems to be fairly sharp.  Unfortunately, when it is blown up on the computer, the photo is usually blurry at full resolution.  However, if I reduce the pixel size on the screen, the photo looks sharp.  My questions are, do I really need to worry if I can't get a tack sharp photo at 24 megapixels? The more I try to keep the camera perfectly still, the more I seem to move. And are professional photographers able to get tack sharp photos at full resolution?  I've seen lots of YouTube photographers demonstrating their techniques of how to shoot but you never see their full resolution photograph to see if they are getting a tack sharp photo at its full size.  I know they are shooting with way more expensive cameras than I have but when they're taking a photo of a bird while moving I'm doubting that they are getting 100% perfectly sharp photos. I figure I'm not the only one with these issues so I figured I'd hop on here and see what others folks thoughts are.  Thanks!

Can you be more specific ?

What kind of lens you are using? 

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I already addressed your question on an other forum.

In addition to that answer, one has to use the better quality lenses and be sur
they went through the AF Fine Tune procedure.

———————————————————————

From the other forum:

This shot, taken this week when I was just having a break at the marsh,

was capture with a D850 + 600 mm ƒ4 combo. The resolution is 8256
x 5504 px. It is the full RAW with Auto WB and just the DRL (Dynamic
Range Levels = black and white points settings) applied.

***The two red oval are confirming that it is always the same file and
at what enlargement it is viewed.

Before crop, viewed to fit the working window of the app on my screen.

%20capture.jpg

Once cropped to my intent and fit to the app's screen yields this:

%20crop.jpg

Seen at 100% : 300 ppi

100.jpg

Seen at 200% : 150 ppi

200.jpg

Seen at 300%

300.jpg

Seen at 400% : 75 ppi. This is +/- the resolution of billboards meant to
be seen yards and yards away… ultimately, that's really what counts.

400.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What lens? What shutter speed? What aperture? What ISO? What distance? What's the weather like? What editor do you use?

These all affect the outcome in the final photo. 

Is the lens tack sharp when shooting something static at the same distance, on a good tripod?

For a BIF shot, is the bird in a crosswind or flying straight into the wind? The feathers are in constant movement in a crosswind, even if the wing is in a soaring position.

How do you breathe when you are shooting, do you time the capture to your breathing?

nikonFILMuser

nikonFILMuser

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBRENTWOOD Essex

Site Supporter

Remember -- with DIGITAL  Photography even with the MOST EXPENSIVE LENS you still need to apply a little 'Sharpening' in your software after re-sizing and just before 'Saving' ----- Maybe you are not doing that ? 

My NIKON Snaps are all on REAL FILLUM but when I scan negs for Forums i still apply Unsharp Mask Sharpening and I'm a 'Digital Beginner' compared with all the Experts here >