Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Favourite Quotes — Please Chime In

99 replies to this topic

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

Not too long ago, two friends of mine were talking to a Cuban refugee, a businessman who had escaped from Castro, and in the midst of his story one of my friends turned to the other and said, “We don’t know how lucky we are.” And the Cuban stopped and said, “How lucky you are? I had someplace to escape to.” And in that sentence he told us the entire story. If we lose freedom here, there’s no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth."

October 27, 1964, Ronald Reagan

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three is a Congress.

John Adams

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

John Adams

Brilliant! :P

TigerBanks

TigerBanks

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUK,London

John Adams

hahaha thats good

"Hi, my name is J.T., I'm an alcoholic and an addict. I'm also a TV writer, which by default makes me a douchebag."

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,264 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."   Mark Twain.

Crotlaus

Crotlaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag

If I never met you, I wouldn't like you.
If I didn't like you, I wouldn't love you.
If I didn't love you, I wouldn't miss you.
But I did, I do, and I will.

Unknown

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

Carl Sagan, 1996

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."

Jeff Cooper

On the other hand,

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Tenzin Gyatso, The 14th Dalai Lama

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

"I'd grown up fearing the lynch mobs of the Ku Klux Klan; as an adult I was starting to wonder if I'd been afraid of the wrong white people all along - where I was being pursued not by bigots in white robes, but by left-wing zealots draped in flowing sanctimony."

Clarence Thomas, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 8,869 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Ever tried.
Ever failed.

No matter.

Try again.

Fail again.

Fail better.

You won't believe what you can accomplish by attempting the impossible with the courage to repeatedly fail better.

Samuel Beckett

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Ever tried.
Ever failed.

No matter.

Try again.

Fail again.

Fail better.

You won't believe what you can accomplish by attempting the impossible with the courage to repeatedly fail better.

Samuel Beckett

Beautiful wisdom! :)

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Clever bloke, that Samuel Beckett.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,264 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

So true a genus and man of wisdom, the words and thoughts of Benjamin Franklin hold true today as they did 250 years ago.  At the ripe old age of twenty, Franklin wrote down twelve rules to govern his life, later, he added a thirteenth.  Below are the rules he practiced unto himself, one rule a day, he graded himself at day's end and kept the practice until he died.

1. Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation. 

2. Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.

3. Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.

4. Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.

5. Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.

6. Industry. Lose no time; be always employ’d in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.

7. Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

8. Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.

9. Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

10. Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, clothes, or habitation.

11. Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.

12. Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.

13. Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

Franklin, quick to admit his own short coming admitted number three, order was the most difficult for him to attain. 

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,264 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

If you think the government is on your side, you better treat your enemies better.  Me.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,264 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

People fearing their government is tyranny.  The government fearing the people is liberty. 

Never give up your guns!

Kitty Werthmann-Holocaust survivor.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,264 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Live in a state of gratitude, and you’ll never want. Live in a state of want, and you’ll never have enough.  Brianna.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

“A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”

John Burroughs (April 3, 1837 – March 29, 1921), American naturalist and nature essayist

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

“You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence.”

Charles A. Beard (November 27, 1874 – September 1, 1948), American historian, professor, and author

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 8,869 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I stumbled upon a volume of Robert Burns poems today...

The Selkirk Grace:

Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be Thankit!

Robert Burns, in connection with the poet's visit to the seat of the Earl of Selkirk in 1794.

It is older than Burns, but the Lallans version is usually attributed to him. He probably was the first to put pen to paper, even if it had been around for over a hundred years.