Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So. I want a portrait lens, but...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I want a portrait lens for my FX format camera, but need some input here.

These are the choices, in order of my preference:

1. Nikon 85mm f/1.8G

2. Nikon 85mm f/1.8D

3. Nikon 105mm f/2.8D

Now, some things I am considering. The number one choice (85-G)would be the lightest and has the more recent technology, costs around $400.00

The 85-D I can get for around $100 less, but it's going to be heavier, and used, and the autofocus will likely be slower.

The 105-D will cost around the same as the brand new 85-G, but it will be used, and quite a bit heavier.

I plan to use this more as a walking around lens, not a studio lens.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you absolutely want AF, either of the 85/1.8 versions work about equally well. The D version has some CA wide open, but it is easily corrected.

IMO the 105D is a bit of a joat with busy bokeh unless wide open at medium to long distances and not quite sharp until a bit stopped down. It is not as sharp a macro as the 105/4 AI or AIS either.

Why not look at a pair of early 80's classics instead? A 105/2.5 AI and a 105/4 Micro AI can be had in somewhere between EX and EX+ condition together for around $400-450 from KEH. Manual focus, but both your bodies meter with AI lenses and are easy to focus with them.

/Peter

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

If you absolutely want AF, either of the 85/1.8 versions work about equally well. The D version has some CA wide open, but it is easily corrected.
IMO the 105D is a bit of a joat with busy bokeh unless wide open at medium to long distances and not quite sharp until a bit stopped down. It is not as sharp a macro as the 105/4 AI or AIS either.
Why not look at a pair of early 80's classics instead? A 105/2.5 AI and a 105/4 Micro AI can be had in somewhere between EX and EX+ condition together for around $400-450 from KEH. Manual focus, but both your bodies meter with AI lenses and are easy to focus with them.

/Peter

If I'm going to go that route (manual) why not just opt for a Rokinon/Samyang f/1.4 85mm? They run around $300 brand new with the focus confirmation chip. I have heard good things about them.
Sample photos with the Rokinon 85mm.

Search: rokinon 85mm | Flickr

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have tried two samples of the Samyang belonging to friends, both had too much friction in the focusing ring for my taste. The light falloff in the corners is easily corrected in post, but this can introduce noise. I don't like it and much prefer the 105/2.5.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I think I would go with the current 85mm f1.8. In fact I almost pulled the trigger on it last month... opting instead to go for a 50mm which has a similar (just slightly larger) angle of view on my D7k.

That said, the manual focus 105mm Nikkors are very nice lenses.

--Ron

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
They are all nice lenses and they will all get the job done. If I had unlimited funds and the time to use them all I would probably own one of each.

The way these things usually go for me is when I can't stand waiting any more I tend to just buy the best I can afford. A lot of it depends on the availability of disposable income. :)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I'd go with the 85mm f1.8 G. I feel 85mm is the better portrait focal length. You'll find yourself having to take a step or two back, too often with a 105mm lens. I use my 85 as a walk around street lens all the time. Framing is just too tight on the 105mm, and bokeh is better on the 85. If you're not close enough with an 85mm, you can always just crop it later, as FX has the power to still look great, even cropped!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks K-9. That is my first choice, the 85-G. My gut feeling is that is what I will end up with.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'm not adding anything relevant to this discussion--you've all already addressed sharpness, bokeh, autofocus, and whatnot--just have to say that I LOOOOOOOOOOVE my 85mm 1.8G.

I do. I love it. If you can get it, do.

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington
I have the 105mm f2.8 and use it for street photography. It produces good results.

But I use it because I bought it for macro work and don't have an 85mm. If I had a choice I imagine an 85mm lens would be better due to the extra light capability.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

As I recall, you already have a macro so the 105 Micro G probably wouldn't fit your needs as much as the 85G...of those you listed, I'd probably opt for the 85G, but personal preference would be the 105 Micro to give me both capabilities...In my Pentax days, my 100 or 105 was one of my best lenses and I loved it for portraits...when I switched to Nikon I had an older 85 1.8 that was nice - probably as nice, but I wasn't doing as much that required that lens, so it didn't get nearly the activity that my Pentax lens did...it was "sacrificed" for some other gear at some point along the line since it wasn't used that often...

byrd-2020

byrd-2020

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Alden-

I was faced with the same choice.  I decided on the 85mm f1.8 D.  I purchased this lens *new* from B and H for $439.  I believe that both B & H and Adorama have them in stock at that price.

Several factors influenced my decision.  (i) Superior construction when compared to the 85mm 1.8 G lens; (ii) slightly faster autofocus when compared with the G version; (ii) essentially equal IQ.

It was also a plus for me that the D has an aperture ring and the G does not.

My advice would be to order in both and put them 'head to head'.  Go with what feels best.  I am continually impressed with the IQ on the 85mm f1.8 D. It is in many ways superior to my Zeiss 85mm f1.4 ZK.

I use an 85mm as my 'normal' lens on full frame. I have now also purchased a 135 f2 DC--an absolutely superb lens for head shots and working outside.