Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon 1.2g Lenses?

nikon 1.2g 1.2 f1.2 camera lenses nikonlenses

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

ryan's_lens

ryan's_lens

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Does anyone know if Nikon is planning on creating 1.2g 50 and 85mm lenses to keep up with Canon? It's been a long time since Canon has released theirs. I need a Nikon 85mm 1.2g in my life!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Does anyone know if Nikon is planning on creating 1.2g 50 and 85mm lenses to keep up with Canon? It's been a long time since Canon has released theirs. I need a Nikon 85mm 1.2g in my life!

I don't see them replacing the 85mm f1.4 anytime soon.  A 50 1.2G would be nice, though, since the 58mm is longer.

Brazeal

Brazeal

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

Maybe Nikon realizes that f1.2 is a specialty lens than will not appeal to the masses?  What is the point of a ridiculously expensive f1.2 lens that is almost certainly going to be soft wide open?  I guess it is a matter of taste, but I don't care for the razor thin DOF and soft subject look even if the bokeh is subjectively creamier.  You can get the same effect with a little effort in Photoshop and spend the $ on more glass. 

Many people choose the 85 1.8 over the much more expensive 1.4 because the 1.8 is sharper wide open than the 1.4 is at 1.8 and maybe even a little more.  I would never pay the premium for the 1.4 just because it is 1.4.

I'd much rather see Nikon release an updated 300 f4, a new 400 f5.6, etc. that can compete with Canon and be realistically priced.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

I think Nikon has made a conscious decision not to put out a 1.2 lens.  In my opinion, 1.2 is very useful on a crop sensor; but not so much on a full frame(becomes specialty glass). Unfortunately, the faster glass is usually made for the full frame market (on a shared mount).  

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

The f/1.4 lens has a large enough barrel.  Could you imagine how much larger in diameter a f/1.2 would be?

A coloquialism for the 85mm f/1.4 is the "creme machine" for its out of focus rendition - creamy bokeh.

What exactly else would a f/1.2 bring, super shallow DOF?

Hard to build, hard to use and would not be a big seller.  Thus, I think Nikon will pass.

Having one would be cool though because I am a super shallow DOF freak.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I rarely, if ever, shoot anything with an aperture larger than f2. I simply see no point. Tiny DOF is an artistic twist to photos that some people like. Probably not enough for Nikon to produce one.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Why should they?

The reduction in DOF is less than 3 cm at a distance of 4.5 meters. The Canon 85 weighs about half again compared to the Nikkor and is very soft in the corners.

Nikon would have another problem too, in that the throat diameter in the lens mount is so much smaller and the register distance larger.

You can achieve a shallower DOF for portraits with the 105/2 by defocussing it a little bit to the front

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

One can just buy a lensbaby.

There was also a special camera that came out a few years ago, where you could select DOF after taking the photo. I think the camera was a rectangular design, but I forgot the name.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Oh, yeah, that Lytro thingy...  it has special software that allows you to alter the DOF in post. Kinda neat prototype technology. I'm just wondering when that will find it's way into the likes of Photoshop.

SEQ_Lytro_Group_Front-565x376.jpg

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

............Tiny DOF is an artistic twist to photos that some people like...............

Yep, that is the whole point......and not just "some" people.

the swede

the swede

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

i've read somewhere (have no idea where so i could be wrong), that the back mount of the nikon lens won't fit the required size of the back element supporting f/1,2. It would mean a lot of glass loss and as a product of that the bokeh won't look so good at 1,2 creating more cat eyes like bokeh rings than round shaped. No one would by that lens for the money it would cost... If they made one without any electrical contacts and only manual, it would work, as there is one already (50 1,2 ai-s) 

byrd-2020

byrd-2020

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I think it unlikely that Nikon would ever make an 85mm f1.2.  It would  be very big, and very expensive. (Just look at the size and price of the 58mm f1.4!)   I think that the 85mm f1.4 G meets the needs of those users who want this kind of speed. (And there is also the Zeiss, the Sigma, and lower cost options like the Rokinon.)

Nikon does, however, still make the 50mm f1.2 ais.  I own this lens and I am very happy with it.  It is extremely sharp at f2 and beyond. (Sharper than my daughter's 50mm f1.4 G). And, while it is difficult to focus at f1.2, the paper thin dof and smooth bokeh can make for some great shots.  (I usually go to live view at f1.2 to get precise focus.)  B&H and Adorama are currently selling this lens for $649 import, and $699 US warranty.

One other thing about this lens: the build quality is superb.  It is equal to or better than the Zeiss/Cosina 50mm,  and it is just in a different league (in terms of build quality anyway) from the current line of G lenses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, 1.2g, 1.2, f1.2, camera, lenses, nikonlenses