Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Home made Calendar

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hey I am wanting to put together a calendar consisting of the landscape shots I've taken this last year for the family and some Facebook friends. I would like to make the calendar myself and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to go about doing this. I would like some info on what printer, type of paper, program ext, and or ideas if anyone would want to suggest or recommend. Thanks.

:huh:

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Daniel,

I'm not sure if I'd want to make it myself.  Any good photo printer could obviously handle it, but putting the pages together, etc might be a bit of a challenge.  You could probably manage a one pager with Microsoft Word or a similar product putting a photo on the page with the months below and probably do the same with a 12 pager that has one photo per month - just not sure how you would put it together to make it easily usable...

I know some of the web sites offer them - most have an image per month and some have a single image for the year - just remove each month below the image...I haven't checked, but I expect they probably offer discounts for a quantity order - if not, I'd call them and ask.  Worst case they say no and you're back to where you were...Good luck!  I'm thinking of doing the same with some shots of the kids for my Mom-In-Law this year and plan to use one of those sites...not sure which yet!

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks for your advice I will look into a printer around here getting them done up. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

One note I meant to add - make sure whatever printer you decide to use is capable of whatever page size you want the calendar...that will effectively determine the size of the photo(s) you intend to include with the calendar...

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Thanks for your advice I will look into a printer around here getting them done up.

Did you manage to produce one Daniel?

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Not yet Tony but, I found a place that will print them. Its called London Drugs http://photolab.londondrugs.com  I had to downloaded their software to make the calendar and send it to them online and the calendar will be printed and delivered in a week to a local store.  I haven't decided which photos to insert yet but will have a few made before Christmas. 

If anyone wants to see some of my work they can ask to be added to my facebook photo group at: http://facebook.com/...daniel.despins/  I don't have an official webpage but am working on one. Keep in mind I am not a professional but rather like traveling and taking pictures of landscape or scenery I like.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I looked over the weekend and Shutterfly offers a few different calendars...I grabbed 12 photos and got a basic wall calendar put together and ordered fairly quickly.  It is supposed to be here within a week or so...

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Not yet Tony but, I found a place that will print them. Its called London Drugs http://photolab.londondrugs.com  I had to downloaded their software to make the calendar and send it to them online and the calendar will be printed and delivered in a week to a local store.  I haven't decided which photos to insert yet but will have a few made before Christmas. 

If anyone wants to see some of my work they can ask to be added to my facebook photo group at: http://facebook.com/...daniel.despins/  I don't have an official webpage but am working on one. Keep in mind I am not a professional but rather like traveling and taking pictures of landscape or scenery I like.

Daniel, just added request to join the facebook group.

Daniel, just added request to join the facebook group.

Problem with the London Drugs is that they are Canada based, thought for a moment that they might be located over here in the UK.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ok kewl, I don't know why they call it London drugs lol

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

My calendar has shipped from Shutterfly - I'll let you know how it looks once its arrived...

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Awesome post some pics of your calendar as well please.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I was going to suggest Shutterfly as well. I've used them to get hardcover photo books printed. The quality is decent--not like using WHCC or ProDPI, but definitely acceptable. Other companies I've used for print projects like calendars and books include Snapfish and Picaboo.

And once you've ordered from Shutterfly and the others, they start sending you coupons and discounts for future orders.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I agree nbanjogal.  We've ordered some of the soft cover photo books in the past.  Not the highest quality, but a good number of options, fairly simple to create and reasonably priced.  I had been thinking about doing a calendar of photos for my mother-in-law for Christmas when my wife asked about doing photo books for each of the boys from this year's sports.  So, she found the images she wanted and we built a couple of photo books.  Grandma always loves pictures of her grandsons, so I created a calendar using some of the same photos and ordered them all together.  Calendar has shipped and photo books due to arrive next week...

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

As promised...some pix of the calendar...

IMG 0227
IMG 0229

It really looks nice - about a foot square...alternated photos of the boys each month...gift for their Grandma!

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Wow looks great!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Grandma loved it!  The boys loved their photo books too...Time to start working on one for my younger son that will include all of his high school sports from all 4 years (mostly lacrosse)...I want to get most of it together before the spring season so I can throw in shots from this season and hopefully give it to him for graduation...

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I was going to suggest Shutterfly as well. I've used them to get hardcover photo books printed. The quality is decent--not like using WHCC or ProDPI, but definitely acceptable. Other companies I've used for print projects like calendars and books include Snapfish and Picaboo.

And once you've ordered from Shutterfly and the others, they start sending you coupons and discounts for future orders.

I've used Picaboo before and like their quality.