Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D850 vs D500, is it worth the extra $1,000?

d850 d500 landscape wildlife

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

griffinblegen

griffinblegen

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello all! 

I need some advice from you guys. I first got into photography just for fun and started out with a D3400, which I still have. After slowly learning more and finding a real passion for this art, I have found myself needing an upgrade in equipment. I shoot a mix of wildlife/landscape/astro, basically just nature in general. Budget is a big deal for me as I am a college student.

From doing research and reading reviews, obviously the 40+ megapixels on the D850 is incredible for landscapes, but the 500 has the ability to shoot 10 fps instead of 7 fps (or 9 with grip) for the 850. And if you are choosing to crop the image on the 850, it's basically the same megapixels as the 500. Either will be an upgrade from what I currently have so if anybody has any further guidance on if the D850 is really worth the extra $$ as compared to the D500, in terms of the subjects I shoot, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Griffin.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D850 has almost a stop better dynamic range available at low ISO when you bin the pixels for print. This might be significant, or not, depending on your style.

If you like to shoot with a wide-angle, a superwide like a 14 mm is only moderately wide in its coverage when cropped to the DX format. Some of the best ultrawides for Milky Way and northern light shots on FX, such as the Samyang 14 mm have no equivalent on DX as the 10 mm from the same manufacturer shows significant CA.

For wildlife, the D850 can be cropped to the same AOV as the D500.

If you don't shoot much ultra wide, the D500 might suit your needs better, but the FX advantage at the wide end is very real. Only you can know which suits your style of nature photography better.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

A colleague often spends to spend time with me at the marsh.
He shoots with the D5 and I with the D850 /600mm ƒ4 combo.

When he triggers, he gets double frame rate per second then me
but after culling, he doesn't get much of an edge in terms of cho-
sen moment and certainly not in terms of resolution.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Spray and pray seldom, if ever, catches the decisive moment. The D850 is at least as responsive as the D500 for that all-important moment that makes or breaks the photo.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

If you only have DX lenses you would want to factor in that cost as well.  To truly get the benefit of the D850 you will want to pair it with FX glass that will take advantage of its capabilities. 

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

In combo with a very long prime lens, the D850 is the tool
I take along for all wildlife work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d850, d500, landscape, wildlife