Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scavenging Vultures

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

Haven't seen many birds except Vultures around my area the last week. Hopefully the variety picks up soon.

34ot5kk.jpg

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I haven't seen any Hawks around here since fall, but when I drove through the US last week I seen our Hawks flying around or sitting on fenceposts and power poles waiting for lunch to walk by. Idaho lol

The Hawks we have can migrate as far as Mexico in the winter. 

I can't wait tell spring.

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

I can't wait either,but I do have a trip planned to a lock and dam to try to catch some eagles. That is the one good part about winter around here. Normally do see a fair number of hawks,but 9 times out of 10 the issue is that they are 100 yards away in a restricted use area. So then my tactics for getting a bit closer won't work.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Well impressed with your photo and all the comments. We don't get many vultures over here, apart from the political one's, but think you get those all over the world.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Nice shot!!   What lens/camera setup were you using for that shot, if you don't mind me asking?

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

For that shot  I was using a d7k with a sigma 120-400 at 400mm. Just got my upgrade today though. An older 300mm f-4 nikkor af prime, which seems to work great with the kenko 1.4x converter. Need to test it with the 2x as well. Also getting used to using full manual exposure as opposed to auto iso on manual settings. That was a bit difficult considering they were already flying and rarely perch.

Well impressed with your photo and all the comments. We don't get many vultures over here, apart from the political one's, but think you get those all over the world.

We seem to get Vultures after icy weather clears up. Must be after those that didn't survive the cold.