Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The One Nikon Didn't Make

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Following Nikon Shooter's, "Let's Get Crazy'' thread on fantasy lenses, how about you're fantasy camera body that doesn't exist?  Either start with something way out there, or choose your favorite model FX with the custom features you would like to have added or detracted. 

As for me, I'll take a D700 with a few upgrades.  How about a 20MP sensor, Low ISO of 100, boosted to 50, 5:4 image ratio as well as 3:2, and another CF card slot.  That should do it for me. 

Why not just get a D600-D610-D750-D780-D800-D810-D850?  I want to keep the MP at around 20, and only the D800 can come close to the build quality of the D700.  Okay, what about a D5 or a D6 then?  I can take the battery grip off my D700 making it both smaller and lighter, plus the little on board flash may come in handy at times and it only pops up when I want it. 

I think a 20MP D700 was on the drawing board until someone ask, "Won't that take sales away from our flagship cameras?'' 

What's your phantom/custom Nikon? 

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I'll play dream!

Since I will never use a TC and I am limited in focal length by the
current lens productions, the dream I have is a 100MP sensor.

My D850's are fantastic's bodies with 45.7MP so that means that
at a 100MP, the result would be like having a 1200 mm lens… :P

Man, I don't want to wake up and stop that dream!

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I had an actual sleeping dream some months ago that Nikon entered the medium format field with a 100MP camera.  It seemed so real it took a while to convince myself it was just a dream when I woke up. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What I have dreamed about since the D700 days is the D700 ergonomics and build quality, but with a bit higher resolution, say 16-20 MP and the capability to take voice memos to annotate the files to help my memory out during post processing. This camera, supplied with a grip that can take a larger battery could easily be priced in the middle between a D850 and a D5 without scaring me off as a customer.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Voice memos...that could be handy!

Sadly, we'll probably never see build quality like that again.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Voice memos...

My D3S and D3X have that feature!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The camera that we all thought we were getting with the Df is the one I want.

--Ron

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yeah, I looked at the Df a few times and it falls short on what I would want.  I like the concept, but it's lacking in several areas. 

• Ron likes this

Jim_TX

Jim_TX

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGalveston, TX

Site Supporter

I have the Df, and so far, so good.  It's replacing a former F2a and FE system.  I still prefer the film rigs, but the digital is a learning curve that I'm slowly accepting.

I also have a pristine Norwegian Krag in 6.5x55.

You may envy me, now.