Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Newbie on here from Bristol UK.

nikon d5300 focusing screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Easylife

Easylife

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, my name is Gary, I live in Bristol UK, I recently bought a used Nikon D5300 and understand a little. I was told the focusing screen needed cleaning so I removed it after watching a you tube video, cleaned it with cleaning fluid from a camera care kit, replaced it with the shim in place and now it doesn't focus whereas it did before cleaning but the pictures are clear, any ideas as to what's gone wrong?.

Regards Easylife.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

When you say it doesn't focus but the pictures are clear, do you mean that the AF works and the photos are in focus but the viewfinder looks blurry? 

What cleaning fluid did you use? Both lens cleaning fluid and sensor cleaning fluid are made for cleaning glass, not a delicate plastic fresnel lens.

You might have damaged your focusing screen or simply not seated it properly.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

First, welcome to the forums.

Peter is right. Never ever clean a focusing screen with fluid. The way is using a rocket blower or in severe cases a very, very, very soft brush. Anything after that you will have to live with or you will have to replace the screen with a new one.

Easylife

Easylife

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Merco_61 and Bengan, thanks for the advice about cleaning fluid, will take that on board, the fluid is a lens and lcd cleaner that came with a cleaning kit I purchased from Ebay. I don't think I done too much damage to screen, a couple of light scratches and as it turned out the problem was that I had moved the viewfinder focus while turning the camers upside down to use the rocket air pump, refocused and all seems well, again thanks.

Easylife

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d5300, focusing screen