Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3400 - how to take photos continuously over several hours

d3400

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

rawlins02

rawlins02

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I'd like to take a series of photos over several hours. For example, a 30 sec exposure, one after another, for 5 hours. I see there's a continuous mode that keeps taking photos while the shutter release button is depressed. How would I take photos continuously without keeping finger on shutter release button? I have a ML-L3 remote and know there's a setting to enable with release mode button, but am unaware how to use the remote or select a release mode setting to do continuous photos over a long time.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

You may want to investigate the solutions an intervalometer has for you. :)

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
The D3400, as an entry level camera, does not have a build-in intervalometer, which would be the « tool » to be used here.

Also (and while I don’t have a D3400) it seems as if Nikon removed the DC2 accessory socket on he D3400, which was available on previous models. The absence of the DC2 very much limits the possibilities for an external intervalometer, unless it acts as a wireless remote control. I don’t have a recommendation here.

On a side note: if you take captures with 30s exposure, pay attention that the camera needs some interval between two pictures for processing and saving.

Finally, taking captures for 5 hours will require you to have an alternate solution to batteries.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D3400 is compatible with the Arsenal gizmo. Getting an intervalometer for an entry-level body is one of the few reasons to buy an Arsenal. They are easily found on the used market quite a bit cheaper than new.

rawlins02

rawlins02

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Many thanks all for the helpful comments and suggestions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3400