Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5100 accessories - any advice on the following

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Simon 5100

Simon 5100

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Folks, First post so please be gentle as they say. I (along with a day a job in sales) do a bit feature journalism and use a D5100 which I find perfectly acceptable as my shots are never used more than A5 size in magazines, an upgrade might be considered in the future (but not for a couple of years at least) but at the moment I'm still happy using it... so couple of questions

Firstly is anyone using a cheap generic wi-fi card successfully in this camera, cant really justify a genuine eye-fi card when I can just connect a lead. just thought if it works for 20 quid then great!   . 

Secondly battery grips I can get one for around £30 (I'm U.K based) from amazon are they worth it? I often take landscape shots in portrait (due to magazine requirements) so think this would help this due to the extra button  and Youtube suggests it will also help with hand holding larger lenses. in addition slightly tongue in cheek, I know its an old camera and quite small, it might add a bit of gravitas to the camera in the eyes of the general public that I may interview in connection with the writing I do.      

Any thoughts and comments please

I upgraded to this camera for around £100! second hand a couple of years (its got a really low shutter count) and gave my very old D50 to my son and we often go out taking photos together.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I wouldn't skimp on any memory card. The medium where you store your photos is not the place to be cheap.

Those grips work reasonably well if you take a bit of vinyl tape to make sure the little cable doesn't flop around and snag in your bag. Make sure you use good tape, the cheap ones leave a sticky residue when you remove them after they've been on there for a while. The same kind of tape can be used to fill the gap between camera and grip if it is uncomfortable.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Regular gaffer's tape works well but it's not cheap.

--Ron

Simon 5100

Simon 5100

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
thanks for the replies so far. i am more likely to buy the grip than the wi-fi as buying the cheapest of anything can always go wrong and the eye fi cards are quite expensive for just over double the cost I could get a secondhand D5300.

in regard to the grip goood advice about the wire I did see they needed a wire to connect. Are lots of people using a generic battery grip. a few people on YouTube seem to like them

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Gaffer’s tape or electrician’s vinyl tape. Both work well but neither is cheap.

Simon 5100

Simon 5100

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered a grip, with 2 extra batteries, charger and I.R  remote for £40. I'll see what it feels like regarding grip, I work in the D.I.Y trade so can get a decent gaffer tape if required. going to leave Wifi card unless somebody comes with a good cheapish one!

Simon 5100

Simon 5100

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Grip arrived today its the DSTE one, I already use one of their batteries, so with the 2 included I've now got 4 batteries, works very well used the portrait button and the remote both work well, the finish is a slight crackle finish almost identical to the camera body so looks spot on.

Really pleased with it.