Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wedding Photography

wedding lens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Terri

Terri

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Looking to purchase a lens for wedding photography for a D5100 any suggestions?  Thanks!

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

The 50mm f1.4 G or 50mm f1.8 G, depending on your budget. The 1.8 is around $220 and the 1.4 is double that. If it's all outdoors, you can use a slower zoom, but anything inside, you'll need the speed of a prime.

Terri

Terri

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks!  I just purchased the 50mm 1.8.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Great purchase.  Should net you much more in returns than its small price tag.

wedgtail

wedgtail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdealaide

Definitely the right lens for the 5100 1.4 is more for a full frame camera

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Very interesting... Obviously main main camera is an FF camera, but talking to several wedding photographers these seem to be the main lenses that they use... (these are of course FF lenses and not cheap).

24-70mm f2.8

70-200mm f2.8

85mm f1.4

Naturally the Zoom's a for versatility indoor and out. The 85mm is used for Portrait work. Naturally you can have more lenses, as mentioned I've also seen 50mm and 35mm lenses widely used as well.

It's something I'm interested in as well. The 50mm (FF) on a DX camera would translate pretty much to the 85mm FX combo. Having 2 camera's seems to also help (I used my double shoulder strap camera harness yesterday and it's awesome).

Good luck with it.

DSC_3273.JPG

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Rocknrumble,

I'm also full frame, but the two zooms are what I'd go with...if I were going to add a third lens, I'd probably go with the 105 micro since it would give me other capabilities as well - I've actually ended up using macro on some of the weddings I've shot - bouquet , rings, etc.  The other two will give all the coverage you need and the 2.8 should work fine...I think they would work on all but large group shots even with the DX sensor...

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

When I shot weddings on film, I only used 2 lenses: a 35mm and an 85mm.  The last wedding I shot with digital (full frame) I used only a 28mm and an 85mm.  I would never want to lug the weight around of a 70-200 f2.8 that many hours.  It just isn't necessary and I find it too slow indoors.  Unless it's a massive outdoor venue and you just can't get close, I find the reach of a 200mm focal length is rarely needed at weddings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wedding, lens