Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D610 - Use of Folders and File Names

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

jkhCalgary

jkhCalgary

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCalgary, Canada

Hi,

I am new to Nikon, after being a life long Pentax user, and have just bought a D610.  I am trying to understand how you might use the folder structure and filename options. 

With my Pentax, it automatically created a new folder each day, using the date as the folder name.  Really handy for a number of reasons.  You could also adjust the prefix of the filename, similar to the Nikon.

Can someone give me some scenarios showing how they use the folder names in some meaningful way?  I normally shoot events and dump the card at the end of the event so there is no reason to use folders to separate events.  I also am a travel photographer.  I can think of no really good ideas to help organize the travel shots as I dump, process and backup daily.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

jkhCalgary

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I like the way Pentax does their folders.  Custom folder naming is a nice feature but it certainly adds a bit of overhead in comparison.  You can use the feature to create a folder for each day, each event, each week, etc.- whatever you see fit and are comfortable with.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I use the file name feature so that down the road I know specifically which body the photo was taken with.  I've really never found a major benefit to the folder names - although I do use them at a VERY basic level.  In most cases I shoot sports and dump my cards at the end of the day's (or night's) shoot so any folder naming isn't particularly valuable to me...I occasionally shoot multiple games in a single day and I have been thinking that I might use the custom folder names to separate the games that I shoot in a single day to make them easier to split out when I'm importing them for processing.  I might be shooting a couple of games in a week or two, so I'll try and remember to do that to see if I get any benefit...I expect the big benefit will be in the spring when I occasionally shoot 4 different sports in a given night...