Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon Df initial shutter count

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Darren@RI

Darren@RI

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi All,

I just received my Nikon Df (black with the 50 1.8 kit) this morning. Yay !

Everything else I have uses the EN-EL3 or 15 so I had the oh so long (not really) wait for the EN-EL14a to charge .. ramping up the anticipation ! :D

Looking at my first handful of test shots in Photo Mechanic and being very pleased, I did spot that my first shot had a shutter count of 227 in the metadata. With my previous Nikon DSLRs that piece of metadata was either 0 or very low (maybe a couple of flips of the mirror into Live View and back). Did anyone see the same ?

I am hoping its just some factory testing or something rather than me getting a return ... if that is even possible when the critter was only release early in the week ! I really like the camera a lot.

All that aside, I am very pleased with the camera so far - the image quality is great. I look forward to rambling on about that later ... :-)

D.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I wouldn't worry about the shutter count if the camera looked untouched when you unboxed it. I've heard of new bodies with counts in the hundreds before.

Darren@RI

Darren@RI

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks K-9 - much appreciated !

The first image was actually called DSC_0001.JPG, which backs up what you are saying. I guess I was just lucky in the past.

So ... for the first time ever I got to use my olde Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 P.C. on a Nikon full frame camera. Previously I had only used it on my D40 or my 5D Mk II with a novoflex adaptor. Yay !

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I wouldn't worry about the shutter count if the camera looked untouched when you unboxed it. I've heard of new bodies with counts in the hundreds before.

I have not heard the term 'shutter count' before, can you explain background on this?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The number of exposures the shutter has fired is hidden in the EXIF information. Unlike the file numbering this is not resettable.

It can be read in photo mechanic directly, or in Photoshop by opening a raw file and look in "File info" under "file". Choose Advanced and expand "ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux/." Read the number in "aux:ImageNumber: xxxx."

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I have not heard the term 'shutter count' before, can you explain background on this?

It's how many times your camera's shutter has been pressed, or how many times your mirror has flipped open to take a photo.

Darren@RI

Darren@RI

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't know if a third answer is really necessary :-) But here is some more background info : How to Find Your Camera's Shutter Count on Any Camera

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Ye my new camera had a shutter count of about 100! The thing with nikon is they do such rigorous testing of their products that sometimes the shutter count can be quite high! Don't panic!! Most nikon s have a max shutter counter of 150000+ before the shutter assembly "wears out" and may need replacing but this is just a base number, I've seen shutters with 200000+ counts and still going strong!

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia

I've read reports on other forums that Df have quite a high initial shutter count when purchased...it could be more testing than other models since it's a new product.

Jayvee

Jayvee

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

I have used Opanda IExif, and it is very simple to use. Once installed and the program opened, you only need to drag your chosen jpg and drop it onto the space where it says 'Thumbnail', and to the right comes up all the exif data. Nice and quick with no messing about .....just scroll almost to the bottom and you'll finder your shutter counts.

This shows you how easy it all is  How to Count Your Shutter Actuations With Opanda iExif: 6 Steps

OR  http://www.ridemonke...n-users-220535/

Definitely works with my Nikon, don't know about other makes of camera, but can't see why not. What I do know is that it will display full exif details of my little Fuji compact - but no shutter count.

I downloaded the program from http://www.softpedia...nda-IExif.shtml

Worth having just for a quick exif check without having to load into Lightroom etc.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Merco_61 in My musings on technique and sometimes technology, on 01 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

Source: Nikon Df initial shutter count

Read Full Entry →