Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Intervelometer Settings...HELP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

KPWATKINS65

KPWATKINS65

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

My Nikon D500 has a mind of its own and im trying to figure out how to get it to stop. Im trying to take some star trail pics and the intervelomter settings on my camera dont make sense to me. Ive watched hours of youtube videos but ive seen many different explanations and none of them work.

Im trying to shoot a 20 second long exposure with a 1 sec interval with 300 shots. I set the appropriate, or what i think is the appropriate settings, and hit the shutter release only to have the camera take only 10 or 15 shots. 

I know im not the brightest bulb but i dont feel like im the dullest either...this is making me crazy. Any suggestions, tips or help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

banffdude

banffdude

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthamptonshire

Hi

First off, I've never used the intervelometer option , so I am not an expert but I do have a couple of thoughts on possible causes due to personal experience in other areas.

1. As you are shooting 20 second exposures , do you have Noise reduction on? if so this will be making you shots at least 40 seconds in duration, so I would suggest turning it off if it is.

2. I suspect that your interval of 1 second is too short, and that in a lot of cases the image is still being written to the card as the next shot is due to be taken and therefore is being lost.
I would suggest extending the interval.

I may be completely wrong, but until one of the better qualified members arrives you're stuck with my suggestions lol

Hope this helps