Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

external flash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ILoveByrds

ILoveByrds

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

I can only shoot at 1/200 with my stock d5000 flash, i noticed external flashes are  cheap,  can someone please recommend the best bang for buck for a amateur.

Will I be able to shoot at higher speeds with the new flash?   

Most of my shots are backyard birding, 30 yards away at most, mostly in the shade,  big trees block most of the  direct light.

Im just trying to see what works for me, thanks for reading.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

First, see if your camera can handle
HSS ( for High Speed Sync ) …

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Your D5000 has a sync speed of 1/200. This is the fastest shutter speed where the first curtain has finished before the second starts moving. To get a faster shutter speed, you need a flash that is capable of FP-sync or HSS.

With an external flash, you can set the aperture and ISO to a level that makes the flash a smaller part of the total exposure. You probably use 1/200, f/5.6 and 400 ISO today with the marginally effective pop-up flash. With a more powerful flash, you can use 1/60, f/11 and ISO 200 or something like that and still freeze the bird's movement as the flash exposure only lasts for 1/1500 or so even with a big discharge. By dragging the shutter, you let enough ambient light in to get a nice exposure on the background where the flash doesn't reach.

The most bang for the buck is IMO getting a Godox Ving of some kind. The 350 is weaker than the big one, but lighter and smaller. Just make sure you get one made for Nikon as both hotshoe and firmware differ between the models.

ILoveByrds

ILoveByrds

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi merco, thanks for the awesome reply!  

https://www.bhphotov..._nikon_kit.html

is this what I need?  I belive FP sync or HSS is also known as TTL ? this one is saying TTL.   not sure please help, im looking for most user friendly experience, i also love auto iso.

it says its zoom range is 200mm so , but I shoot with a 300 and im usually zoomed all the way.

thank you

ILoveByrds

ILoveByrds

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

https://www.bhphotov...h.html/overview

also found this one, both have a guide # over 100 .

I am shooting a 300mm lens is this a good choice?  Still a little confused about this.

Very excited to try shooting with better light!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The TT350 is an older model, the one I meant as the weaker alternative is this one: https://www.bhphotov...n.html/overview

The V860ii has a zoom reflector that goes to 200 mm, the V350 and TT350 only goes to 105 mm. The GN is 196 for the V860ii, 118 for the V350 and TT350. There is no problem using a longer lens than the reflector setting.

TTL means that the flash can use the camera's light meter and communicate fully with the camera. All three support HSS as well as i-TTL. i-TTL is a refinement on TTL that fires a weak pre-flash for more precise metering.

The Ving models both have rechargeable power packs, the TT350 uses AA batteries. All three are compatible with the Godox wireless radio remote system so you will only need a transmitter the day you want to get the flash off the camera.

Auto-ISO with flash isn't the best idea as you want control of as many parameters as possible for consistently good results.