Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Very small file sizes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

mew20

mew20

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi all. I have just bought a Nikon D5600 and I have been trying it out with JPEGs on the fine and large setting to maximise quality. Despite this, the file sizes are all less than 1mb when the camera suggests that they will be around 16mb. I can’t work out why this should be. I had a canon slr and a Sony rx100 previously and its JPEGs were much larger. Thanks for your help!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The file size will depend on how much detail is in the image.  For example, a photo of the moon would be a lot smaller than a well-lit daytime landscape, and could potentially be under 1Mb.  What subject are you testing with?

I'd also check to see if the camera is configured to shoot at full resolution, as that will also dramatically affect the file size.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

How are you accessing/viewing your images? For example, if you're transferring them to a mobile device/phone using the Snapbridge app, they may indeed be small. If, OTOH, your downloading your images by placing your SD card from your camera directly into the card reader on your computer, I would expect them to be much larger than the 1MB that you're reporting, even for images like those described by Adam.